Sunday, December 13, 2009

3rd Sunday of Advent: Happy in the Lord


"I am waiting to see his face, who is my joy unspeakable, and full of glory. Come, Lord Jesus. Do not delay."

Sickness and disordered sleep have kept me away from Mass these past few weeks of Advent, and I mourn the time I'm wasn't in God's house, partaking of the sacraments, and celebrating the beauty of the season with the faithful. Still no sleep this morning, and a rather stormy interaction with Ken in the wee small hours, which made it easy to decide against Mass when the alarm went off. I'd only dozed an hour or so. But unhappiness shrouded me early this morning, and I couldn't stand another day without the Eucharist, exhausted or not. So, after pressing the snooze button four times, I finally dragged myself up. If I had to crawl to Mass on bloody knees I would. Fortunately for me, even bleary-eyed and semi-conscious, I remained upright. Mostly.

Aziza and I walked to Mass through a fine mist of rain in temps that resembled no mid-December I've ever known. All we needed were jackets, but we had our matching pink coats. I held her small hand in mine, and she carried her new Teddy Bear, Snowball, in a Build-a-Bear Snuggli. It was one of those mornings that makes the scripture that says weeping may endure for a night, but joy comes in the morning was oh-so real.

We weren't late, though I'd left us precious little time to get ready, and the ushers seated us near the front. Yay! Fr. Norman wasn't there, and I missed him, but a young, funny priest celebrated with us, and his homily was great. The music touched me as it always does. It's a lovely blend of the old and the new, African American spirituals and praise songs, and traditional Catholic liturgical music. I love my church. It comforts and embraces me. All of me.

After Mass Aziza and I went to the fellowship hall for the first time and had Spalding's donuts--they are the best in the world, lovies. Krunchy and sweet on the outside, but soft and yummy in the middle. We walked back home in that same gentle rain, and I came home and made roasted green beans and sweet potatoes for our community dinner. I made vegan this time, because my friend is fighting cancer, and I intend to help her kick its butt. Dinner at Third Street House was as lovely as ever. Billy Ray made Banana's Foster, and I'd never had the dish. Uh-mazing! In the words Louis Armstrong so aptly sang, "I think to myself, what a wonderful world."

Today's reading was Philippians 4:4-7.

"I want you to be happy, always happy in the Lord; I repeat, what I want is your happiness. Let your tolerance be evident to everyone: the Lord is very near.

There is no need to worry; but if there is anything you need, pray for it, asking God for it with prayer and thanksgiving, and that peace of God, which is so much greater than we can understand, will guard your hearts and your thoughts, in Christ Jesus."

If someone had told me to read this scripture from a scroll this afternoon, when I finished I'd have handed it back to them the way Jesus did when he read Isaiah. And like Jesus, I'd have said, "Today, this scripture has been fulfilled."

I have nothing extraordinary to say, but I feel joy rising up from my bones. I simply want to thank God for love, forgiveness, community, countless gifts, and all the happy I could stand today. Just because.

I am so grateful.

mair-francis

5 comments:

Erin Wilson said...

Just look at your beautiful self!
So grateful you found joy and contentment today, Mair. And community. And a pink coat.

xoxo

ragamuffin diva said...

Aw, shucks! Thanks, Erin. And we love our crazy pink coats!

MaryAnn M said...

the warmth and peace is literally pouring from your words here...thanks.

ragamuffin diva said...

Thanks, MaryAnn. This post makes me think of Dorothy Day. She often reported on very simple things. She changed how I view the ordinary. I think her diaries are rubbing off. :)

Oh! I should say. That isn't a new picture of me. I took that right a few months before I moved to Lexi when I was in my red and blonde "fire hair" phase. LOL. Today, I look a hot, tired mess. But I'm a happy hot, tired mess.

Jennifer said...

Thank you for sharing your picture in this post -- it's a neat thing to see a woman in love with her Lord. I'm glad you had a good day!