Monday, March 23, 2009

Lent: Not for the Faint of Heart. Seriously.

My Godbaby, Dusty, sent me this, and it says what I seem to be struggling to articulate today. Enjoy, lovies. I'll yak at ya tomorrow. And Dusty, much obliged.

mair-francis

Lent is not for the faint-hearted

Lent is not for the faint-hearted.
It demands that we, like Thomas,
put our hand into the side of the crucified Christ.

Lent is a journey towards the cross,
a journey of enlightenment:
from wilderness to feast,
from desert to oasis.
It’s an attempt to identify with the powerless
and the suffering in the world.

***

Lent is not tidy.
The days grow longer,*
the ground thaws, there’s mud and dirt everywhere
and the windows need cleaning.

Lent is a journey.
So at the end of Lent
we should expect to find ourselves
somewhere different from where we started.

Lent can be an opportunity
to explore what is the nature
of the promised Kingdom of God on earth
that we long for;
a time to discern
how we are called to work for it.

No, Lent is not for the faint-hearted!
*‘Lent’ means lengthen.

Kate Mcllhagga

From The Green Heart of the Snowdrop, Wild Goose Publications

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mrs. Mair Burney, Have you ever been fooled by one of those as "seen on TV commercials"? You know the product is not any good, but you bought it anyways. Well, multiply that by a hundred and that's the way I feel right now. Even after picking up one of your books from the bargain bin, I still feel robbed, raped, and humiliated. I'm a big fan of female authors; I find their work extremely passionate, inspiring, detailed, and entertaining. Sadly, you're the exception to the rule. With just two pages of your book you managed to set females in all walks of life and the black race a couple of hundred years back. Your use of "jive" and "Ebonics" couple with you lack of style and imagination make your book one of the most ignorant pieces of reading material I have ever come across.
The responsibility of a writer is to promote knowledge, entertain and even to set ones imagination free...but I see a total disregard for any of these things in your work.
I’m really sorry for my bluntness; you can laugh it all the way to the bank but it needed to be said.

Thank you for you time. (EXORSISTAH)

ragamuffin diva said...

Dear Anonymous,

If you think in two pages of my book I set back females and black people a few hundred years, you are giving me waaaaaay too much credit. It's a little flattering actually. However, I'm afraid I just don't have that kind of power.

But thanks for your insight. I don't think I've raped, robbed and humiliated many readers. I'll try to be more careful next time.

Many thanks!
mair