Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Ash Wednesday 2009: Repent and be faithful to the Gospel.

I begin in love, facing my Bridegroom, veiled, a constant reminder that I am His bride. No longer do I hide from His knock like the foolish woman in the Song of Songs, rather, I fling open the door and run into the sweetness of His embrace.



My Lord, and my God. I am sorry for my sins.

I come to You, not out of fear, but because of love, in love, with love, through love, that I may come to know You, Love Himself, intimately, deeply, fully.

Help me to give myself first to you, and then to those who you never fail to remember, the poor and needy.

Act of Contrition:
"My God, I am sorry for my sins with all my heart. In choosing to do wrong, and failing to do good, I have sinned against you whom I should love above all things. I firmly intend with your help to do penance, to sin no more, and to avoid whatever leads me to sin. Our Savior Jesus Christ suffered and died for us. In His name, my God, have mercy."

Litany of Forgiveness

For the times I lacked compassion and concern for others
forgive me, Lord.

For now sharing my resources of time, talent, and treasure,
forgive me, Lord.

For holding grudges and refusing to have a forgiving heart,
forgive me, Lord.

For the times I have criticized and gossiped,
forgive me, Lord.

For not reaching out to comfort and console others,
forgive me, Lord.

For not caring for myself physically, emotionally, and spiritually,
forgive me, Lord.

For the ways I misuse nature and damage the environment,
forgive me, Lord.

For those times when I talked more than I listened,
forgive me, Lord.

For my prejudices, biases, and deliberate acts of discrimination,
forgive me, Lord.

For being greedy,
forgive me, Lord.

For the misuse and abuse of the wonderful gift of spirituality,
forgive me, Lord.

For failing to see your face in the homeless and helpless,
forgive me, Lord.

For believing that I could save myself,
forgive me, Lord.

For not living fully for you,
forgive me, Lord.

For doubting that you love me with an everlasting love,
forgive me, Lord.

Amen.

"Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner."

My dear brothers and sisters in Christ, forgive me for any wrong I've done to you, whether wittingly, or unwittingly, and for any way I have failed or disappointing you. God have mercy on my soul. I am sorry for my offenses. Please pray for me.

In love,
mair-francis

Prayers and Intercessions

?
Let us give thanks to God the Father for his gift of the season of Lent, which starts today. We pray that during this holy time he may fill our hearts with the Holy Spirit and thus purify them and make them steadfast in love:

Lord, give us your Holy Spirit.

May we be fed and satisfied
by every word that comes from your mouth.

Lord, give us your Holy Spirit.

Although we long to perform grand and magnificent acts of love,
may we still take all the tiny opportunities for love that each day brings.

Lord, give us your Holy Spirit.

Give us the gift of abstaining from excess,
so that we can give more to our poorer brethren.

Lord, give us your Holy Spirit.

May we carry your Son’s death around in our bodies:
for through his body you have given us life.

Lord, give us your Holy Spirit.

5 comments:

Mahogany-d said...

Wow. That is so deep and yet so needed. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Amen.

Dusty

Joe said...

Thank you, my friend. My Ash Wednesday is now complete.

M. Nole said...

Hi mair-francis. A few days ago I asked God to show me what empty promises of Satan I was chasing, and today at the Ash Wednesday service the ugliness of my sins struck me so profoundly that I had to leave the service before it was over due to uncontrollable sobbing.

I knew God loved me, but I got a glimpse of how repugnant my sins are to such a perfect entity. It was the worst thing for me and the best thing for me. I'd never had a sense of evil - the master of lies - at church before, but I felt like he was coating me.

Hopefully this is God's way of giving me true contrition...for which there is no substitute. He does want me to be happy, after all. Supremely happy.

"the other mair"

P.S. Did you read my article?

ragamuffin diva said...

It's good to walk with all of you. Thanks for sharing the journey with me.