Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Ohmigoodness, I Missed the Mentalist!


It was that kind of Tuesday, and trust me, not since the first episode have I forgotten to watch my favorite television show. Bummer.

My challenging day started short after I woke up and found my left leg no longer worked. Well, my leg works fine. My thigh however, seems to be on strike. I know, I sound pretty non-chalant about it, but believe me, it's alarming. So, I pulled out my trust cane, which I bought shortly after the Calvin Festival where my knees decided to switch to part time employment. Oh, the joys of fibromyalgia! You never know from day to do what you'll get.

So, I spent much of the day in bed. One happy benefit was that I got 50 pages of the Exorsistah 2 completed. Yay! I worked off and on till after nine (which is probably why I forgot to watch The Mentalist). Then and only then could I allow myself to paint.

Oh man. I suck at painting. I want to be an elegant and beautiful artist, but I end up making a huge mess. It was all over the bed. I had to diligently guard the pink patchwork quilt of fabulousness. I was supposed to work on my weight loss journal, but instead I chose to celebrate the journey of a dear friend who has also embarked upon a remarkable journey. I met Gina perhaps 3 years ago. The moment I saw her Jesus told me she was His bride. I told her so, and it was the beginning of a mystical friendship, though she's far more mystical than I. I dedicated The Exorsistah to Gina. She's been one of my art muses since I saw her first, fragile paintings, and now she gets to watch my life as a visual artist be born, as if she were my doula, guiding me through painful contractions during my transition. She urges me to go on and let God's will be done.

She really liked my "maircon" icon, and since she has mirrored grace to me so often, being a true icon of Christ, I decided to make one for her. I'm afraid my pain and the late hour means it's not the finest piece ever, but I'll be seeing her tomorrow, so I wanted it to be ready.

Initially I wanted to make her "ginacon" like my "maircon". I knew she loved it, and why tamper with success? But as I worked and prayed for her, I believe her heart emerged. She really is Christ's bride, so I used as a background a page from the hymnal. The song? Jesus Lover of My Soul. Some of the Lyrics are, "Jesus, Lover of my Soul, let me fly to thy bosom." I put the words let me fly to Thy bosom in the red heart. I stamped the word "trust" over and over, and also added on one of the hymn pages, "Gina loved of God, Spouse of Christ, Beloved Bride. I know my friend has suffered much, so I gave her the sacred stigmata. Her hands are wounded, yet she carries a paintbrush and palette. The wounds are heart shaped, and I also put one on her forehead to indicate her awareness of sharing in Christ's suffering.

I won't bother to explain much more. I just try to trust my instincts, and make a descent composition. It's a little frustrating, as the worker, like my writing, never lives up to my hopes for it. But isn't that how it goes. You toil and strive, you reach, and only when you touch God in heaven will you have arrived. It's a process, one that's teaching me a lot.

I hope Gina likes this.

Love and peace,
mair-francis

5 comments:

~michelle pendergrass said...

This one is fabulous! I'm sure Gina will absolutely love it.

I adore the way you put so much thought into things!!

Charisse said...

love the colors.

ragamuffin diva said...

Thanks, ladies. Gina still hasn't seen it, and ever second that goes by I doubt it.

Charisse, I'm having a heck of a time trying to figure out this painting thing. It's enjoyable, but it's a process. What are you working on these days? I'm going to have to check out your videos again. That's how I found you. lol.

Elysa said...

Truly lovely. If she's a cryer, she's gonna cry. Heck, even if she's not a cryer that woman's gonna get all misty eyed.

DON'T DOUBT IT!

ragamuffin diva said...

I was so nervous, Elysa. Gina is a wonderful artist herself, and it seems the more I paint and collage the more vulnerable it makes me feel. I'm grateful for such a loving family here at raga-d to tolerate this new me.

Anyway, I saw Gina tonight. She wanted to take advantage of the sale at Michaels, as well as see me. You were right. She did cry. I almost cried too, I was so moved by her reaction. And she gifted me with one of my new favorite arist's mystele's (mystele.com) paintings. I'll show you soon.