Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Waiting to Wait


Hello lovies,

It's two days before Thanksgiving, and I can hardly wait to get past it. Don't get me wrong. I love Thanksgiving. For me, it's the beginning of the Christmas season. It's the day I usually watch "It's a Wonderful Life" and sometimes, I even put up the Christmas tree, but this year, I'm tired. It could very well be the usual suspects for this time of year: seasonal depression. Fibro. I have enough energy to cook and enjoy the fam, but really, I am ready for Advent season to commence.

I had this idea of making a Jesse Tree and ornaments to commemorate the salvation story with Nia Grace and Aziza, but that may not happen. Even if it doesn't, I'd like to approach the season with a little more quiet and reflection, not just for me, but for all of us. So much is happening in the world. People are afraid, more than I've seen in a long time. There isn't much money, not that there ever is, but this year things are tighter for many, many Americans. I told my kids they were going to get love for Christmas. Abbie did not want love, but that's Abbie. The other kids were okay with it, mostly. I do think there's something to that idea. Love for Christmas. It's actually quite nice! This may be the last Christmas we have before we join an intentional community and begin, in earnest, to do the works of Jesus. But even if we don't make it to Lexington next year, I'd like for us to be more intentional and missional, and yes, mindful of the people in this world who have so little. And also, for how much people suffer for our sakes.

Last year, I thought I was innocently shopping at Walmart for affordable Christmas tree ornaments. I bought a tub of plastic baubles for about thirteen bucks, only to find out, a week later, that those very same ornaments, were created in horrible conditions. I mean, the local news did an expose! People suffered in a third world country for me to get those cheapo ornaments. Awful!

This year, I've got a few ornaments I bought in Swaziland created by gogos who did the beautiful work to support orphans. The proceeds go toward keeping a wonderful care point in business. I don't know what other kinds of ornaments we'll use. Maybe we'll make some. Maybe buy something from a thrift store. Once I bought the most lovely ornaments at a Value Village. It was like a little treasure box. Each one I pulled out of the bag a surprise. In any case, I think this season will be perfect for looking past what I want, want, want, or what the kids want, want, want. It's a good time to open the heart wide, and see how we can give, even if we've got a widows mite.

It's also a good time to listen. To watch for the light in the distance. To wait for Christ who came in poverty. A babe. God in a diaper. It's amazing really. I'm hoping you will watch and listen with me, and that we hear Jesus in a new way together. He really is drawing near. Come, Let us adore Him.

May God grant you peace.
mair-francis

6 comments:

Rhonda Jeanne said...

1.) what is a Jesse tree?
2.) what is an intentionally community?

Elysa said...

YAY! I was so hoping for a Mair post tonight and you did one. WUV YOU!!!! MWA-AAH! Oh...and that one, btw, was a lipstickless kiss. Yes, I do do those every now and again.

And Lexington? You guys might really be moving to Lexi and becoming a part of Communality? How cool is that? Hubby has to go there once a year now that he's on an executive board with the national thingie for dam safety officials. I'm hoping I can go back next year and if you were there...well WOWZER!!!!

Did I say that I wuv you?

wilsonian said...

One of my most favourite trees was when I was a struggling student. My college class got together and spent an evening folding paper origami doves in normal old white bond paper. Even the men participated. There might have been beer involved, but I'm not saying.

Anyway, this tree was filled with the most beautiful flock of snow white doves. It was beautiful in so many ways :)

xo

Elysa said...

So are you mum on any more Lexi details? Is that the subject you said you couldn't share about in your latest post?

ragamuffin diva said...

I don't have any details on the move yet. We are in the hopin' and a prayin' stage. We're dreaming of the possibility and in, as our Emergent friends love to say, "conversation."

We shall see.

ragamuffin diva said...

Ah, Rhonda, an intentional community is a group of believers sharing a common goal, vision, rule of life, or what have you, who intentionally live with or near one another to realize said goals, visions, rules of life, etc.

You can find out more about Communality at:
theashram.blogspot.com