Friday, November 28, 2008

Make Something Day at LaCasa Burney

Hello lovies,

Today, instead of pillaging the malls for deals, we stayed home for Black Friday, and celebrated Make Something Day. I found out about Make Something Day on Sojourners. I liked it more than Adbuster's Buy Nothing Day, because it's a little more active, and besides, I like being crafty.

At first, we were just going to do our individual thing. Ken was going to work on his mural in his studio, but I wanted to make Artist Trading Cards. The kids were busy doing a whole lotta nuthin'. I seduced Ken into making an ATC by sliding one of the 3 1/2 x 2 1/2 cards his way. He was just going to do one, or so he said, and for a moment, I believed him. But then we got going, the kids joined in, and we caught an art fire. Mind you, we aren't ATC experts. I made one for my friend Erin a long time ago, but I don't think I did one for anyone else. So, it was with a little fear and trepidation that I began, my inner critics ready to pounce. But I didn't pay attention. I remember when I wanted to write. I did it for love, without the expectation of publication, and so it is with making art. I just want to be creative. I believe God put the desire in me, and a sistah has to begin somewhere. Of course my stuff won't look professional. But if I can enjoy the journey and grow, it's all good. Right?

I had all kinds of ephemera in my "art stuff" so we really had fun.

Anyway, I know they're whack, but they made me feel good. And it was a great time with my family. We spent hours at it, making about 31 cards in all. And I also made a magnet, and some serious Sacred Heart of Jesus kitsch on a rusted metal heart. I look forward to sending my 6 or 7 ATCs out in the world with a blank card for friends to decorate and send back to me.

Any takers? You have to make one and mail it back to me! No fair just keeping them, trading is the whole point of Artist Trading Cards!

And here's my whole output from the session. Thanks to Ken for scanning them for me:


The small, round glass magnet next to the heart is a little black girl's face and the word pretty.

And here are some of the ATCs by Ken, Nia Grace, Aziza, Abbie, and Kamau:

And a collage by Abbie:

Okay now, go and be artsy and crafty!

Love y'all much.
mair-francis

4 comments:

wilsonian said...

Do you know that I framed mine? It's in my living room... I look at it every day, and try to believe.

nuzor said...

Hey Godmama! I was wondering what spurned all the creativity today when I saw the pics on fb. Man, I missed out on Make Something Day! I was babysitting cousins so my cousin and his wife could have dinner and time together... hopefully that's my contribution.

At least, I participated in Buy Nothing Day. Consumerism will not have me!

Love you so much.

laundrygirl said...

I think this is cool - especially the fact that you ALL got into it...

I wanted to let you know that the art exhibit opened tonight. I posted a few images from the show on my blog. Check it out!

ragamuffin diva said...

I'm so happy to hear that, Erin. You are so getting another ATC from me.

Soon!

Godbaby, you rock, even though you got weak and started shopping on the net. LOL. But it was "after" right? Even if it wasn't, you're still fabu.

Kristine, I was so happy to see this. You are simply wonderful, and the exhibit was amazing.

Love you ALL!