Tuesday, January 01, 2008

A New Year Blessing, 2008


I found this blessing in the book, Ragamuffin Prayers and posted it a few years ago. The name of the person who said it wasn't credited in the book. It just said he was Henri Nouwen's spiritual mentor. This lovely soul, who I found out was Larry Hem, also mentored my beloved Brennan Manning, or so I learned after hearing Brennan speak last year. Can you imagine the kind of man he must be to have mentored such remarkable pilgrims? Anyway, when Brennan finished his soul-altering talk, he left this blessing with us, and I'd like to give it to you, once again. Don't be afraid of it. God is not what you think He is--if He were He wouldn't be God. Don't be afraid to let Him surprise you, and if you follow Him, He will surely surprise--and delight--you. Don't be afraid of anything, because there is no fear in love. Let love chase all your fears this year.

Here's the blessing:

"May all your expectations be frustrated. May all your plans be thwarted. May all of your desires be withered into nothingness, that you may experience the powerlessness and poverty of a child and sing and dance in the love of God the Father the Son, and the Spirit." Amen!

Happy New Year, friends. God grant you many years!


Much love,
mair

New Year's Day 2008
Feast of the Solemnity of Mary, Holy Mother of God

11 comments:

laundrygirl said...

Happy New Year!
Cheers to you!

wilsonian said...

And much love to you, beautiful Mair.

See you soon :)
Erin xo

Sharon Hinck said...

Lovely, Mair.
That blessing was very much fulfilled in my life this past year, and I'm learning to embrace it a little more than a year ago.

YOU are also one of the blessings in my life. May He draw ever closer to you this coming year.

Heather said...

Mair, you have no idea how timely this is. You see, over the past week, I've realized that I need to pray for insignificance. One of the hardest prayers for me to pray. So to see both this prayer, a frustrating, intimidating, counter-cultural prayer and to hear of this man who know one hears of but who raised great men, I know that's God's work.

Alison Strobel Morrow said...

Happy New Year, sister!

paula clare said...

Dear Sistuh,
HAPPY NEW YEAR! You are a bright light in my life! Peace, joy and much love in Christ and Francis, dear one!

Huggles!

Esther said...

Thank you for reminding me to give in to God. :)

betty said...

happy new year,,,everyone,and many more 2 come may god watch over u us..bless us .....

Candy said...

This speaks to me of letting go and letting God. A great reminder, Mair. Thank you. Happy New Year to you and yours.

Joni said...

How incredibly humbling. Thank you!

laundrygirl said...

Happy New Year dear friend!