Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Pray for My Lovie


One of my lovies is missing. I can't tell you exactly who she is, but I will tell you she is gone. She's been gone since this morning, and this isn't like her.

She got in trouble. It wasn't the worst trouble in the world, but it was enough for her to maybe think she had to run away.

At least I hope that's what she thought. And it's what I hope happened, because in truth, it could be worse than I'm willing to imagine tonight.

It's rough out there. I don't have to watch Court TV as much as I do to know the kind of treachery that exist in this world. I remember being a teen on the cusp of womanhood. I remember the dangers that lurked in the shadows that I didn't fully see for what they were at the time.

When I was seventeen, I got a co-op job for a minister who went to my church and had a wife and six kids. Once day he looked at me and said "If I weren't married you'd be mine." He said several things like that to me.

I can assure you he was completely and utterly wrong about this. I would die a virgin martyrs death before I succumbed to him! And it was a creepy experience. Sexual harassment. And as much as I forgive, I still remember it with a great deal of distaste. He left said wife and six kids for another woman later, and though he's still in the ministry, it's really hard for me to respect him. Pray for me. It's hard for me to respect him.

So right there in God's house there was this creepy guy who would have willingly taken advantage of me, I'm sure, had a shown him the slightest bit of interest. I was a church girl. Jesus burned within me, but I still ended up having sex when I was seventeen (not with him, beloved. Not that it makes it better...), and everything went straight to hell from there.

Oh lovies, there are smoothed voiced, very fine angels of light that will make you feel good, good, good, and take you far away from the things you must do, but don't know with certainty you must do because you're only seventeen. And if you let them, they will sweet talk and stroke you to disaster and ruin. And leave you scrambling to retrieve your losses. Sometimes with a baby on your hip. Or worse. And you will almost surely return from your prodigal days with broken heart, and possibly spirit.

You may have a broken body.

Lord, have mercy. Lord, have mercy. Lord, have mercy.

My lovie is far more confident and sophisticated than I was at that age, but that doesn't mean she is wiser. I wasn't wise. I was a teenager. I only thought I was wise.

I worry about her and her friends because the whole world looks bright and shiny to them, and no matter how much the adults around them try to tell them sometimes shiny things, like knives, can hurt you, they still can miss the sharp edges that cut so deeply, because the radiance of the blade blinds them to its danger.

Will you pray for her? Pray God sends her home to the people who love her a lot more than whoever thinks they're shielding her from imagined wrath, if that is indeed, what that person is thinks.

Everything will get sorted out when she makes it back home.

Bring her home safely, Lord. And keep her while she is away from us.

I'll be keeping vigil for her.

mair

10 comments:

paula clare said...

Dear Sister,
I will pray and keep a candle lit until I have word she is safe at home. Keep her close, Jesus...

Emily said...

Just got back from Dallas and praying right now. Standing with you Mair. Please keep me updated on what's happening. - Tom

Danica/Dream said...

Praying for your lovie...

Isn't it awful how Satan disguises himself as an angel of light, tempting us in the worst ways that make us think we're doing the best things?

anita said...

Oh, Mair, how I know what you're going through . . . I will pray for both of you.

wilsonian said...

Lord, have mercy...
Praying here too Mair.
xo

Marie4thtimemom said...

Thanks for sharing this with us -- I am also with you in prayer...

Dusty said...

Just seeing this this morning, lighting a candle and praying

Hugs Claudia

Elysa said...

Praying right now.

Ashley Weis said...

In my prayers, too. In my own life I have seen God work in amazing ways, taking something broken and making it so beautiful... I hope He does the same here.

Alison said...

Been out of town since Tuesday, just seeing this now...praying praying praying...off to read the rest of the blogs in hopes she came back safe and sound.