Monday, November 12, 2007

It's Beginning to Taste a Lot Like Christmas


Just so you know, Fuzzy Pajama night was postponed because I had to get zillions. But it's still on the calendar. Tonight, however, we implement another tradition at La Casa Burney, lemons and peppermint.

I acquired a taste for this odd culinary combination when my sister Penny was in high school and I was just a wee one. I had it around this time of year I'm sure, because you really can't find big honkin' peppermint sticks readily available any other time. I've been hooked on this concoction ever since that first time, and at the first sign of big honkin' peppermint sticks (I found them tonight in Walgreen's), I buy a bag of lemons and we do it big, the whole lot of us Burney's.

You need a relatively thick peppermint stick, and make sure you get a straight peppermint stick, not a candy cane. If you get the cane you'll have to cut the curved "handle" off.

And you need a lemon of course. Squeeze it so it's nice and juicy. The idea here is that you're going to make the peppermint stick a straw, and the juice you'll be sucking through said straw is lemon juice, only you'll be experienced with the sweetness of peppermint, for a yummy, minty yuletide treat. Think of it as the expresso of lemonade, with a kick.

Cut the top off the lemon, and break the peppermint stick in half and plunge it inside of the lemon. I like to go just past the center. Squeeze the lemon some more, and joyfully partake! Pretty soon your peppermint stick will begin to dissolve in the more porous center and it'll become a wonderfully wacky straw!

So, try it already. Lemme know how it goes.

Warning: this is messy, but so much fun.

7 comments:

Wobbly Librarian said...

Never heard of this... but we have lemons aplenty in California. So I'm gonna try it.

Niki said...

O.K. If you insist it's good, I'll give it a try. Please tell me it's sweet when it comes outta the "straw".
I've been catching up on your posts and have to tell you that your gut-wrenching honesty always sucks me in and makes me laugh and cry.

I bought you a book a few weeks ago, now I just need to get off my butt and mail it to you. ;) It's nice getting "fun mail"...something to look forward to.

Elysa said...

My brother Edward and I used to do this with oranges when we were kids. My mom was always coming up with fun things like this for us to do as kids.

I was just telling my kids about this the other day and that I needed to do it for them...cause sadly, too often I forget to do these neat "kid things" in all the crazyness of simply getting food on the table, keeping clean undies in the drawers, and teaching them their reading and writing.

Thanks for the "sweet" reminder! :)

BTW, did you get my email about the Saint's Coffee giveaway at my blog? You and you're Orthodox/Catholic self definitely need to try to win some of this righteous stuff...even if you don't drink it, think how good the artsy bag would look propped up in your kitchen!

OH! And while I'm thinking about it, are your Orthodox services done entirely in English? A friend of mine goes to a Greek Orthodox that does their services bilingually. I know some Catholics still have Latin in their's. And I've noticed that you use a lot of latin in your blog.

And as another aside, our non-denominational, rock-n-roll kids are learning Latin this school year and my husband is having such a good time saying "oremus" at the beginning of our meals then having the kid work on their Latin meal prayer. Hmmm....wonder how many other kids out here in our neck of the woods are "oremusing"! LOL!

ragamuffin diva said...

We had a lot of fun with that last night.

I haven't tried saints coffee, yet, but it's on my to-do list.

Niki, I'll send you my addy. Might be a day or so. I'm on my way to Ft. Wayne Indiana to hang with my agent Chip Macgregor, and speak with his class.

grace and peace, y'all!
mair

I use a lot of Latin???? You've gotta be kidding me, Elysa!

Oh, yeah, we have a mission parish in the heart of Detroit. Our Divine Liturgy is in all English.

Elysa said...

Mair...you're talking to a girl who lives in Mississippi where hardly any schools, just a handful of private and parochial schools, even teach Latin anymore and the number of churches that actually use it in their worship arund here is harder to find than an "I miss Bill" bumper sticker on a muddy pickup truck. Okay...maybe not THAT hard, but pretty darn scarce.

So yes, your using of phrases such as "pax bonum" (I think that's one) is a lot more Latin than I EVER encounter in my regular offline life.

You, Ragamuffin Darling, are a LOT more cultured than you realize or are willing to admit!

BTW, have a great time with your agent. Praying that you'll RAWK that class and touch some hearts for Jesus. :)

LOVE!!!!!!!!!!!

paula clare said...

Hmmmm, lemons and peppermint, huh? Okay, I'll give it a go...being one who commonly uses cherry licorice as a straw for my Coca-Cola (another MUST TRY concoction), this doesn't seem such a far fetched idea! I LOVE peppermint (it is my gum and mints flavor of choice...ALWAYS)so I'll let you know how it goes.

Dusty said...

Paula,
We should sooooo try this together, what a messmaking adventure. I didn't know candy canes had holes, sheltered life I live...hehe

Fabulous Claudia :)