Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Just Checking In From Ink Town


Hello lovies!

I am back, at least for a moment. Sorry it's been so long since I've posted, and some of you (Elysa) are getting violent, so here I am! I am settling in Ink Town just fine. And yes, I've gotten scores of INK references related to me being a writer, which oddly, I never thought of before, as much as I wanted to be a writer growing up.

The he townhouse is very nice! I love it! We have stairs that my children run up and down, slide up and down, fall up and down, and do all manner of things that end with the words, "up and down." I'm just longing to paint the walls something delicious looking, and plant my flower garden. I got lots of mums for the fall!

:::::Sigh:::: I so want to plant the flowers. Too tired! And too busy.

Apparently moving takes a lot more out of me than it used to! I'm exhausted, on deadline for the Exorsistah, and we are still not completely unpacked. And I still haven't finished cleaning out the old house. I have yet to take three HUGE boxes of books to the Salvation Army. Oh, the pain! But even with the ones I lost I still have a gazillion books.

This is a piccha of two of my book shelves, and this funky lamp I got at Target. One row of books is almost empty because after I shelved them I realize I need them for research for The Exorsistah! You can see that I've got the squiggly bulbs, and I even sprang for an HE washer and dryer. Woo hooo! I'm on my way to consciously living justly, as I eagerly await my copy of Will and Lisa Samson's Justice in the 'Burbs. Get your copy today! Not that I need another book in my life.

After moving all my heavy boxes of books Ken sais his next wife is going to be illiterate. He says at the first sign of interest, her glancing at the headline of a newspaper, anything! She's outta there!

Can you see their courtship?

Ken: Hey, baby. Are you hooked on phonics?

Illiterate wife-to-be: Uh uhn, baby. I'm hooked on YOU!

Yeah. A match made in heaven.

Okay, so maybe I should stop marrying my husband off to imaginary people.

Anyway, we are here. And this was also the first time I moved with a film crew on hand. Well, it was just one person, the lovely, amazing Elizabeth Marcus. She hung out for three days with us. It was so like being on a reality television show. Just strange. But Elizabeth was wonderful, and the film is going to be incredible. It's the film I told you about a long time ago, about poverty in America. I so don't feel poor. I feel like I'm in the land of plenty. When I think about the people I'll go spend time with in Swaziland... I feel so blessed. And now I don't get the food stamps, or have the Section 8 voucher. All these things my big, fat literary life has eliminated. Thank God. I made more money this year than I ever have. Than I ever thought I possibly could. But because I had to move away from the city that meant so much to me, and the fact that even with success I had big losses, Kurt wanted to capture that. And now I have no health insurance. It's funny, the haves and have-nots here in the Land of Prosperity. I am oddly between what I thought (and the government said) was poverty, and The American Dream. I suspect that's where a lot of Americans are. Elizabeth asked me what poverty is, and I said some lame thing about not having the necessities of life. Now I'm not sure how to answer that. There are so many sociological issues involved. And when I think about the crushing poverty of people who don't eat for weeks! Can I really say I was ever poor?

But enough musing on that. I'm sure I'll revisit that question again.

So, I'm here. Yesterday I took a walk with Abbie to visit my former bestfriend's mother. Tricia died right after she turned 30 of cancer. She'd been my girl since we were in third grade. Her mother was like my own mother. I remember taking refuge at Tricia's house many a day when the violence in my own home drove me out and into her mother's arms.

I got there and the house was boarded up. They've moved. I was so worried about her, because I saw her last year and she was so thin and frail. I was afraid when I saw the house that she'd died and they gave up the house. That house would not be the same without sassy Betty Robinson burning up dinner (she always burned dinner!) and making everyone laugh and so happy.

I found out they've moved on the other side of town. I was so relieved. I just hate that she's right around the corner anymore. I'm working on going to visit a lot of lovely, older women who were so important to me. Mom Robinson was first on my list. I'll have to drive to her house now, but that's okay, because she's still here. And I'll bet she has every bit as much love and laughter as she had most of my life.

It's late. I'd better get to sleep. I have to go to Grand Rapids tomorrow to talk to a sales team about Zora and Nicky: A Novel in black and white.

Hey, you can pre-order it, and the new Murder, Mayhem and a Fine Man, and Death, Deceit, and Some Smooth Jazz on Amazon! They don't have the covers up yet, but I'll post them separately. And this time Death, Deceit, and Some Smooth Jazz is really going to come out! Really!

Until next time.

Mair

15 comments:

Elysa said...

WOOO-HOOOOO!!!!! She's back. The beautiful, sassy, and VERY literate Mair is back on track so her adoring fans and addicted readers can once again get their fix! I love the archived posts, but there's nothing like reading your current writings.

Know that I'm praying for you as you settle in...your kids and hubby, too.

Love, love, LOVE!

Make Thandeka

Elysa said...

P.S. Your happenin' Target lamp looks just like the one my oldest dd "A" got from Target for her bday. Her's is orange, light blue, white, etc.

You know what they say about great minds! ;)

Love you,
Elysa
(Who promises to not make anymore violent threats for a while)

Nedra said...

Ms. Burney, I SO love reading what you have to say. Everything is so fresh and original, or if you're feeling in the blahs...honest. God bless you, your family and your work, as you adjust to the changes. You and your work are truly inspiring.

bobbie said...

oh i am so happy for you!

i laughed out loud about the next wife being illiterate - that was so funny!

enjoy settling into your new "achor"

Candy said...

I am so glad you're there and you're settling in. You sound happy, like prayers are being answered. Get the flowers planted. Get some paint on the walls. It will make a huge difference. It has at my house!

Joni said...

So glad to know you haven't been swallowed up by a big Ink spot! (Oh, I crack myself up!)

Seriously, though. Glad to hear you're getting a little settled in. I know God has good things ahead. And hey, I just realized, when we visit the hubby's fam in Michigan, we'll be closer! Maybe we can actually MEET each other one day?

Unless, of course, you're off on one of your big excursions. I'm so excited that your books are coming out soon!

Okay. Enough rambling from me for this day.

Alison Strobel Morrow said...

Oh yay! There's my girl! I'm so happy to hear you're doing well in Inkster. I can't wait to hear what God will do in your life there. Cuz you know he's up to something, that sneak. ;)

Hope we can chat soon! Love you!

Nathan Hov said...

hey Mair I liked this post I liked the reality of poverty in America - been there done that.

Joey Quinton said...

Boy am I ever glad you are back...I was starting to experience the onset of Mair-withdrawal. I am so glad that you are in your new house and things are getting unpacked and put away. Love ya!

Jan Parrish said...

Hey Mair -

I'm just starting Murder, Mayhem, and a Fine Man - which I bought because you are so fun online. I haven't had much time to read yet. I'll let you know how I like it.

Wishing you lots of wonderful new friends in your new location and quick unpacking.

laundrygirl said...

I just wanted to say hi... I'm glad you are setting in ok. Thinking of you...

Shanna said...

Are you LOVED, or what?!?

So glad you're snuggling into your new digs.

mwah.

Heather Diane Tipton said...

Hey there girlie, glad to see you back in the land of the blogger. You're going to do great there in that town. I'll be living in a cardboard box next month... so you'll certainly be doing better than me! LOL

Heather Diane Tipton said...

PS forgot to say how much I love you and thank God for your friendship!

Paula said...

I feel better just knowing you're getting all settled in and visiting old friends.

You know, I know exactly what you are talking about when you said something like living between poor and the American Dream. I've never missed a meal due to money, but I also haven't had insurance for YEARS. Seems like many of us are living in that place where we're just trying to hold on in this land of the plenty. We're not starving like the kids overseas, but we're stressed just trying to hold it all together and keep the bills from laying us flat. I don't know what the American dream really is--I suppose it looks different for everybody--but for me it has NEVER been riches, but it has been a stability that continues to be illusive.

Enough of that. May God richly bless your beautiful family in their new home.