Sunday, July 22, 2007

Summer Reading Meme

I got tagged for this cool summer reading meme by my pal and literary love, Lisa Samson. This one seems like a lot of fun, though it does make me feel horribly not well read. Feel free to join in.

* Bold the ones you’ve read.
* Italicize the ones you want to read.
* Leave in normal text the ones that don’t interest you.
* Put in ALL CAPS those you haven’t heard of.
* Put a couple of asterisks by the ones you recommend.

Like Lisa, I put a ++ by those I started but didn't finish.
and I'm totally cheating and bolding if I saw the movie, because most of the time I saw the movie and read the book, and most of the time the book was way better (although honestly, the first Harry Potter movie was about as magical as the book. Really.)


1. The DaVinci Code (Dan Brown)

2. Pride and Prejudice (Jane Austen)

3. To Kill A Mockingbird (Harper Lee)

4. Gone With The Wind (Margaret Mitchell)

5. The Lord of the Rings:Return of the King (Tolkein) **

6. The Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Rings (Tolkein) **

7. The Lord of the Rings: Two Towers (Tolkien)

8. Anne of Green Gables (L.M. Montgomery)

9. Outlander (Diana Gabaldon)

10. A FINE BALANCE (Rohinton Mistry)

11. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Rowling)**

12. Angels and Demons (Dan Brown)

13. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix** (Rowling)

14. A Prayer for Owen Meany (John Irving)

15. Memoirs of a Geisha (Arthur Golden)

16. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Rowling)**

17. FALL ON YOUR KNEES (Ann-Marie MacDonald)

18. The Stand (Stephen King)

19. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Rowling)**

20. Jane Eyre (Charlotte Bronte)

21. The Hobbit (Tolkien)++

22. The Catcher in the Rye (J.D. Salinger)**

23. Little Women (Louisa May Alcott)

24. The Lovely Bones (Alice Sebold)**

25. Life of Pi (Yann Martel)

26. The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy (Douglas Adams)**

27. Wuthering Heights (Emily Bronte)

28. The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (C. S. Lewis)**

29. East of Eden (John Steinbeck)

30. Tuesdays with Morrie (Mitch Albom)**

31. Dune (Frank Herbert)

32. The Notebook (Nicholas Sparks)

33. Atlas Shrugged (Ayn Rand)

34. 1984 (Orwell)**

35. The Mists of Avalon (Marion Zimmer Bradley)

36. THE PILLARS OF THE EARTH (Ken Follett)

37. THE POWER OF ONE (Bryce Courtenay)

38. I Know This Much Is True (Wally Lamb)

39. The Red Tent (Anita Diamant)

40. The Alchemist (Paulo Coelho)

41. The Clan of the Cave Bear (Jean M. Auel)

42. The Kite Runner (Khaled Hosseini) This one is on my to be read very soon list!

43.Confessions of a Shopahaulic (Sophie Kinsella)

44. The Five People You Meet In Heaven (Mitch Albom) **

45. The Bible ** ++ ha! yeah, I know. It's a little confusing. But I've read it, and I haven't. I just got the Renovare Study Bible and The Jerusalem Bible. I plan to read those books that weren't in my bible before. Books like Judith! And Baruch! and Maccabees! I just love that word, Maccabees!

46. Anna Karenina (Tolstoy)

47. The Count of Monte Cristo (Alexandre Dumas)**

48. Angela’s Ashes (Frank McCourt)

49. The Grapes of Wrath (John Steinbeck)

50. She's Come Undone (Wally Lamb)

51. The Poisonwood Bible (Barbara Kingsolver)

52. A Tale of Two Cities (Dickens)**

53. ENDER'S GAME (Orson Scott Card)

54. Great Expectations (Dickens)

55. The Great Gatsby (Fitzgerald)

56. THE STONE ANGEL (Margaret Laurence)

57. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Rowling)**

58. The Thorn Birds (Colleen McCullough) **

59. The Handmaid’s Tale (Margaret Atwood)

60. The Time Traveller’s Wife (Audrey Niffenegger)

61. Crime and Punishment (Fyodor Dostoyevsky) I really want to read this.

62. The Fountainhead (Ayn Rand)

63. War and Peace (Tolstoy)++ Okay, do all smart people read this, or what???

64. Interview With The Vampire (Anne Rice) I read this when I was shockingly young. There's a vampire named Claudia!

5. FIFTH BUSINESS (Robertson Davies)

66. One Hundred Years Of Solitude (Gabriel Garcia Marquez) This has been on my must read list forever.

67. The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants (Ann Brashares)**

68. Catch-22 (Joseph Heller)

69. Les Miserables (Victor Hugo) I so need to read this.

70. The Little Prince (Antoine de Saint-Exupery)** Loved this whimsical book.

71. Bridget Jones's Diary (Helen Fielding)**

72. Love in the Time of Cholera (Gabriel Garcia Marquez) Another must read, why haven't I read this yet?

73. Shogun (James Clavell)

74. The English Patient (Michael Ondaatje)

75. The Secret Garden(Frances Hodgson)

76. THE SUMMER TREE (Guy Gavriel Kay)

77. A Tree Grows In Brooklyn (Betty Smith)**

78. The World According to Garp (John Irving)

79. The Diviners (Margaret Laurence)

80. Charlotte’s Web (E.B. White)** I read this when I was about eleven. The first novel I read as a young child was called Whore Daughter. I must have been about seven years old. Why, I ask, oh why wasn't this lying around my house for me to read then????

81. NOT WANTED ON THE VOYAGE (Timothy Findley)

82. Of Mice And Men (Steinbeck)**

83.Rebecca (Daphne DuMaurier)

84. WIZARD'S FIRST RULE (Terry Goodkind)

85. Emma (Jane Austen)

86. Watership Down (Richard Adams)

87. Brave New World (Aldous Huxley)••

88. THE STONE DIARIES (Carol Shields)

89. BLINDNESS (Jose Saramago)

90. KANE AND ABEL (Jeffrey Archer)

91. IN THE SKIN OF A LION (Michael Ondaatje)

92. Lord of the Flies (William Golding)**

93. The Good Earth (Pearl S. Buck)

94. The Secret Life of Bees (Sue Monk Kidd)** I just read this a few months ago. Magnificent! Highly recommended. One of my favorite books ever.

95. The Bourne Identity (Robert Ludlum)

96. The Outsiders (S.E. Hinton)**

97. White Oleander (Janet Fitch)

98. A Woman of Substance (Barbara Taylor Bradford)**

99. The Celestine Prophecy (James Redfield)

100. Ulysses (James Joyce)

7 comments:

Joey Quinton said...

Oh boy....this sounds like fun...count me in!!!

Alison Strobel Morrow said...

Hey, tag me for this meme, it's one of the few I'd actually like to do. :)

What does meme mean, anyway?

ragamuffin diva said...

You're tagged, Ali! But hey, anybody who wants to join in, go right ahead. Don't feel like I gotta call you out. Just join in. Consider yourself tagged if you wanna play.

ragamuffin diva said...

And I have no idea what meme means.

Joey Quinton said...

A Meme is best explained through a visual aid. Picture, if you will, a small know-it-all girl in the fourth grade, raising her hand higher than anyone, saying, "Me, me, oh pick me."

Lisa said...

I saw, I played, I lost. I'd only read 17 out of 100, which makes me look a non-reader. Not true. I read a lot...just not those. I've never read a Harry Potter. In high school, we only read weird stuff (including Lord of the Flies -- blech)...and I don't feel like Catcher in the Rye. Twenty were unfamiliar. Dreadful, simply dreadful. I want to create a new list with all the books I've read so I can win!

Hi, I'm Dee said...

I read 49 of the books. No wonder I'm not writing as fast as I could. :)