Thursday, April 19, 2007

Ginormous Afro Glory?




Okay, this is really dumb, but I said I'd talk to you about more than just my brooding moody prophetessy stuff, right? And you said you'd stick around, so here goes.

I have a photo shoot next week for David C. Cook in Colorado Springs. And there doing this big honkin' black and white pictures. I always panic when anybody has to take my picture anyway, though you wouldn't know that this week. See, I got a shiny new mac. I always name my computers and this one is blackn'sexy (like me). Ha! I told my friend Mark that and he said I need to get saved all over again from scratch. But I digress. So, blackn'sexy comes with this built in camera and I obsess when I'm avoiding finishing Zora and Nicky and take brooding moody photos of myself using all kinds of special effects. And then I send them to people. Mostly Steve and Lisa. And Heather. Those poor people. I also subject my myspace page people to them. Okay, and yes, I took the new picture for my profile here, and you gotta admit, that's the coolest author photo ever. Anyway, here's the question.

Afro or no?

Now if you don't know this, and maybe you don't, Zora and Nicky is a book about race. There, I said it. And it's a book about race that's contemporary. No, we don't get the comfortable time period distance historical books about race gives us. We have to look at our foulness right here and now. And there is foulness, beloved. I had to confront my own, and sadly it was there. Anyway, I'm going to be hanging around Hotlanta in July at the Internation Christian Retail Show, Lord willing, in July, with this HUGE black and white photo of me, and me and my friend Mary thought it would be really cool if I wear my afro because that's totally how I wear my hair almost every day. And wouldn't that just be cool since I'm one of a handful of black people in CBA anyway.

However, and this is a big however, nobody takes my picture with the exception of me, now, and post it--like four feet tall--in a booth. I'm not sure if afros translate as well when photographed. It's not like I'm Angela Davis and this is 1975. I have enough vanity to want to look pretty cute! What if it's windy? What if the fro decides to be unruly that day? Afros don't always play nice. They're like me. They can just not cooperate sometimes. What if my afro is an afNO that day???

I was going to get some cooperative braids, although in general, I so am not feeling synthetic, or worse, somebody else's hair woven onto my head, though I gotta admit, it looks nice on sistahs. And it is cultural. I can still represent! Be all black and proud, just like James Brown, God rest him, said. Sayin' it loud!

I'm black and I'm proud!

Whooooo! That was fun. We're gonna miss you, godfather of soul.

Not that I need a hair style to feel good about who I am.

I don't know. I don't have long to think about this. So, at the top is this picture of me out in the wind today in all my ginormous afro glory.



And this is me in my room with my retro militant black power afro pick. So, what do you think? Afro Sheen Queen? Or some other time, raga? And listen, don't think if you don't say afro it's some kind of sell-out thing. Personally, I'm leaning toward the braids. My hair isn't trimmed or anything, and I'm really trying to let it grow. The picture is worth a thousand words, as they say. Again, what say ye?

21 comments:

Alison Strobel Morrow said...

Okay, I have to admit, I LOVE the afro look. I mean, in general, on anyone. And that pic at the top of the post is fab, imho. I can't believe that's after being in the wind--I think it looks awesome! (And I guess I really don't know anything about how afros work, because it seems to me that, if you've got one, ain't nuthin' gonna make it look bad, except maybe laying on it funny in bed or something and squishing it down. But it seems like it would be the easiest hair style in the world to maintain--just fluff and go, right? Or does it not fluff and that's the problem? Gah, anyway, I vote that you go with the 'fro! :)

And btw I SO ENVY your new Mac! You've got the one I want! If only I could justify the purchase...

blog.alisonstrobel.com

Melanie said...

Dang! You are so beautiful! I vote for the afro. Love it, actually.

wilsonian said...

Strangely, I've never seen a picture of you with hair before. hehe... not that I've seen bald shots of you, but you usually post pictures of you in a hat or a scarf.

Two thoughts for you:
1) This is the real you. You're gorgeous, fro or no (I almost hate you for having such nice skin).
2) Trust the photographer. It's the photographer's work that is going to be blown up 4' high. It's in their best interest to take the most flattering shot of you possible. Trust...

Dineen A. Miller said...

Girl, you are black and you are GORGEOUS!!! I love the afro. Be you, through and through. That's where your amazing beauty lies. Love you, sister!

Shanna said...

You've got great lips, Mair!

Kristine said...

Frankly I think you look beautiful with an afro. I don't think you should worry about whether or not it will be accepted by others. Ultimately, when they accept your writing, they are accepting you along with it. The big questions are : What makes you feel most beautiful? Most authentic? I like the afro. Plus, like someone said - the photographer is going to highlight your best look so go with it!

Shanna said...

Guess I'm outvoted! Oh, practical, boring me.

But what they said about the photographer. Yeah, what they said...that's good.

ragamuffin diva said...

Don't feel bad, Shanna. I mean. I'm not like the original Afro girl. I started wearing the 'fro around the time my father got sick. And I just really like it right now. A lot of the time I wear it a lot curlier, and parted in the center, so its like a curly afro bob thing. But that didn't look so hot in the pictures. So I went straight afro which I wear also.

I've worn braids but they get on my nerves rather quickly. And I'm not opposed to straight and processed hair, but I have no talent for doing my own hair. I really love natural hair, and ironically, my hair isn't really "natural" right now. My own curls are "texturized" which is another way of saying "relaxed".

I don't know. I went to a festival with Ken and Aziza and ZZ's school with the ginormous afro right after I did this blog entry, and I liked it. The thing is, some days I don't like it. I'm fickle about it. I'm just not completely sold on it. So, I still don't know. I'm feeling a long hair jones, too. Don't count out the braids just yet.

Angie Poole said...

Mair, you are an Af-YES.

That beautiful woman staring in the camera says, "My socks are Blood soaked; knees too. You wanna take me on? Talk to Him, because he was right there with me."

When you look to other people to tell you who you are, they will lie to you, push you down.

You got the right idea.

Rachelle said...

Oh, Mair, you are so beautiful. I think both you and your photo are going to be gorgeous, no matter what. I do love the fro look. But I understand the fickleness -- sometimes it cooperates, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes you love it, sometimes you don't. I have very, very, VERY curly hair and sometimes I like it... but most days I straighten it. Most people who know me don't even know my hair is naturally curly. And I don't think the straightening makes it any less "me."

Anyway, I have to tell you that I LOVE braids, too. I've always been envious of black women with a head full of gorgeous, long, beaded braids. Mmmhmm what I wouldn't give for that. In fact when I was in the Bahamas I simply had to be one of those dorky tourists and get my hair braided, with the beads and the whole shebang. Somehow, it didn't look so good on me. But I know it would look great on you.

I say, choose what will make you feel most happy, comfortable, and like yourself. And whatever will LEAST freak you out when you see it on a four foot high poster!

Can't wait to see you in Atlanta....

bobbie said...

love the afro, but so many have said it way better than i could - go with where you are and what makes you feel alive! you're beautiful mare, with or without hair!

Candy said...

Man, I can really relate to this whole hair issue. I'm all about hair right now since I grew mine out and that's all people seem to see of me. So what I'm saying is, I know this is important to you. After all, you have to sit in front of the 4 foot photo right? I cannot imagine. Anyway, I'm with the rest of the crew. You're black and you're beautiful. Be black and beautiful. Be Mair. You can't go wrong with that. And the afro is Mair right now, so I say go with it. It looks fantastic. And hey! I'm from Colorado Springs! Say hi to my folks will ya? :o)

Donna said...

I instantly thought...WHAT is the big deal?! How vain! But then I considered that you want to make a good first impression. I honestly don't think you can exactly hide your black and proud of it stance considering your Amanda Brown story. Don't let it eat at you. Remember you are a child of the King. You are a princess whose God wants the best for you. So enjoy the fro or the locks.

Joni said...

Either one you choose will look good on you. I'm the conservative, don't look at me, I don't want to stand out in a crowd, so look the other way type of person...so for me, I'd go braids. But I don't have the luxury of that beautiful 'fro!

Go for it!

Will said...

I know I'm late to this party, but go with the 'fro, my friend

David Stefanini said...

I love the blog that you have. I was wondering if you would link my blog to yours and in return I would do the same for your blog. If you want to, my site name is American Legends and the URL is:

www.americanlegends.info

If you want to do this just go to my blog and in one of the comments just write your blog name and the URL and I will add it to my site.

Thanks,
David

Anonymous said...

I know you don't know me well but my vote is NO BRAIDS! I like the afro, just like about everyone else it seems. I am biased because I wear dreadlocks myself. But I didn't have the locks I would totally rock the Fro! So although my opinion is biased I vote Fro all the way. And by the way thanks for responding to my e-mail and so fast. No other author I have e-mailed has ever gotten back to me and personally. I was blown away ;o)
-Jonea

D. Gudger said...

I must join the "go for the 'fro" team. I love natural hair. Yours is way cool!

Chantay said...

Go with the fro. Looks great on you, and don't worry about how it comes across to others. Like Idia.Arie says, "I am not my hair."

Wendy said...

I think the afro looks gorgeous, but do you remember when I whipped out my Holy Ghost camera and took the picture of you with Liz Higgs? You're wearing an electric blue head wrap with your red glasses. I just love that photo. Are wraps out?

KoshaP said...

The reason I bought your book was because your TWA was so cute. That's not good is it? I thought the cover was really artistic and then i flipped it over and saw the pic and i was like aww, nappyhead. (lol I hope you take no offense to that word).
Everybody loves a fro!!! So I say fro it up.
This lady has the flyyest fro I know.
www.fotki.com/chinablk
But you do you, it never fails.