Thursday, November 23, 2006

i thank you God

i thank You God for most this amazing
day:for the leaping greenly spirits of trees
and a blue true dream of sky;and for everything
which is natural which is infinite which is yes

(i who have died am alive again today,
and this is the sun's birthday;this is the birth
day of life and of love and wings:and of the gay
great happening illimitably earth)

how should tasting touching hearing seeing
breathing any--lifted from the no
of allnothing--human merely being
doubt unimaginable You?

(now the ears of my ears awake and
now the eyes of my eyes are opened)

by e.e. cummings

I learned this poem many, many years ago, and it's gentle rhythms remain with me. The words dance, don't they? My heart is dancing this year, too.

On this lovely Thanksgiving day, I thank you God for most...

perfect Thanksgiving Day weather...

being able to cook all that food with no pain, and no medication...

for friends with screaming emails, who send presents when you are down, and when you are up...

for freak flag makers who help your friends when they need to fly one...

for my hot pink Christmas tree with fuzzy yellow and blue ornaments and a green glitter star...

for friends who love books, and for friends who write them...

for friends who don't write books at all...

for Lori Rey's smile which I miss...

for my little girls standing in my the kitchen while I cook...

for Vanessa Williams and Bobby Caldwell singing "Baby it's cold outside," and for the first holiday dance with Ken. He always dips me, and he's light on his feet!

for "It's a Wonderful Life", still the most magical movie ever, and it opens in prayer!

for knowing exactly two other people who make oyster dressing...

for corn pudding, even though nobody eats it but me...

for not being afraid of winter...

for a new home for ABB...

for God opening a door for me to move to Northern California, or Central Florida!!!!

for Jesus redeeming the day, even though I haven't forgotten about the small pox blankets...

for the happiness God will give Evette, just because He loves her...

for Betty who I've met, and Brennan who I will... one day...

for what I imagine Terry ate today...

for Chip's new home...

for my sister Philis, always...

for the University of Michigan football team, my beloved Wolverines, who are going to kick that Buckeye you-know-what next year!

for a family that amazes me with their grace...

for a fine man luring me away from the computer and back into life where we'll eat too much, talk to loud, love too hard, and dance to baby it's cold outside while the kids trim the green tree that he can tolerate. It doesn't have fuzzy ornaments.

And for YOU!

Happy Thanksgiving,
Mair

11 comments:

Alison Strobel Morrow said...

Oh wow, I made it into a Mair post...that's, like, the highest honor in blogdom. :) Happy Thanksgiving, my dear friend, and please make it California! :)

-alison
blog.alisonstrobel.com

Heather Diane Tipton said...

Awww Claudia Mair, I am so totally thankful for you today! Freak flags rock!!

Amy A. said...

Happy Thanksgiving, Mair!

Kristine said...

Happy Thanksgiving Mair!
You are beautiful!

Joni said...

Hey, diva woman!
I was in the Detroit area for Thanksgiving. Would have loved to have seen you, but it was a short, short trip. Someday!!!

Hope you had a fantabulous day!

shanna said...

I'm smiling. My feet are on fire, but I'm smiling...

Thank you for giving me yet another reason to do so.

Lorna said...

love it :)

Dineen A. Miller said...

Eww, come to California! LOL! Lot's of writers here in San Jose. Hee hee...

So glad you're getting to move. Just hope Northern CA is warm enough for ya.

I'm from central Florida, btw. :-)

Vicki said...

Just stopping by to say hello and hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Vicki said...

Just stopping by to say hello and hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Paula said...

Dear Mair--Been unable to comment on your last few blogs. Seems like reading you makes me feel and think and seek God and my heart has just wanted to stay in a box and weep by itself lately. But your posts have been so beautiful and I'm trying not to hide out behind my grief and worries. Trying to start writing real again and being real. (Though I also need plenty of down time wasting my mind on quick, sappy reads and old movies.)

Just had to say I love you, girl, and that I'm opening my heart to these last few posts and to being His Scribe again.