Saturday, November 18, 2006

God Speaks

A few months ago I had a very difficult time physically. I'd had a very mystical dream, and immediately my body seemed to be plunged into the dark night of the body. My soul didn't feel so great either.

A beloved friend prayed for my healing at this time. I think she wanted to know why God wasn't rushing to heal me. If I'm not mistaken, she thinks He's sweet on me, and she probably wondered what was up with all that terrible suffering.

God told her He had Mair in His hands.

I knew He did because despite the pain He gave me many, many gifts of grace. Jesus asks His children to buy from Him gold tried in the refiners fire. I think I know how you pay for that now. Anyway, during this time she and I IM'd and emailed each other, and one evening she told me about a book that she reads every night. She said it speaks to her so deeply, that it's like having Jesus be the last voice she hears before she goes to bed. I was jealous. I want Jesus' voice to be the last one I hear before I go to bed, too! And so I bought that book. It's called, God Calling.

God Calling is much like some books I loved, the diaries of Nicole Gausseron. Ironically, a beloved friend sent me Nicole's books when I was very physically ill. She said she'd send me some "vitamins". I got a package of all three diaries wrapped in a bag from The Limited. You have to know this very special pumpkin to love her! And my, my, she is one of my special ones. I devoured my vitamins, and then made Carlean read them. Poor Carlean. She has to read all the books I fall in love with, but don't feel sorry for her. Because of Carlean I have a Jewish Tallit!

But I digress. Nicole's books are about a very deep relationship with God where she simply sits in adoration--something amazing that Catholics do that I also am jealous of. In my horrid perception of Catholic theology, I'll say that sitting in adoration is sitting in the presence of the Eucharist, which they believe to be--as do we Orthodox--the mystical body of Christ. Someone is to sit with Christ, just adoring Him, at all times, 24/7. This was a favorite activity of Nicole's. When Jesus would say something to her, since she was hanging around anyway, she write what He said in a little notebook.

God Calling is a book that came about when a retired teacher asked her friend, another retired teacher, "Does God still speak to people?" Since they were poor, and sick, and retired, and didn't have much else to do, the other said, "Why don't we see." They met for prayer and Bible reading, and then a period of listening. They did this for 29 days with nary a word from God. On the thirtieth day, while listening, they both begin to write at the same time. They wrote the exact same words.

Insert Twilight Zone music here.

These weren't tripped out wanna-be-mystics into "automatic writing". This had nothing to do with channeling. They were a couple of retired, teachers who needed to know if God was still around because they were suffering. And He was.

For the next 365 days the women, the two listeners, wrote the exact same words, at the same time, during the listening time. Amazing! When both ladies had died, they willed that the work be sent to a man named A.J. Russell, the editor of a hot, London newspaper. He sent it to every good theologian he could drum up, and when all said they found nothing outside of orthodoxy, he published the book and called it God Calling. The names of the teachers were never revealed in the book. They remain to this day, "two listeners."

I can't tell you what this book means to me. It's a constant companion. I've given away copies of it already, and I'm certain that the people I shared it with will share it. I found a wonderful resource, a website dedicated to the book. You can find it here.

You can read along every day, and on the homepage you can even subscribe for the messages to come to your email daily, but buy the book. Nothing like a book.

In the testimonial section of the site a man urged readers to see if your birthday doesn't speak to you. I did this. Not only was it spot on something that I'd probably need to deal with for the rest of my life, it is practically instructions on how to deal with something God is asking me to do.

Here's what it says:

September 1 - It Is Enough

Listen and I will speak.

I seldom force an entrance through many voices and distracting thoughts. There must be first the coming apart and then the stilling of all else as you wait in My Presence. Is it not enough that you are with Me?

Let that sometimes suffice.

It is truly much that I speak to you. But unless My Indwelling Spirit is yours, how can you carry out My wishes and live as I would have you live?


Amen!
Amen!
Amen!

I hope you go to the link and hang out with Jesus. I'm pretty sure He'll chat you up. It's hard to miss Him in God Calling.

Be blessed. And just for fun, this my favorite poem by Rainer Maria Rilke, from his Book of Hours, Love Poems to God. The translation is by Burrows and Macy.


God speaks to each of us as he makes us,
then walks with us silently out of the night.

These are the words we dimly hear:

You, sent out beyond your recall,
go to the limits of your longing.
Embody me.

Flare up like flame
and make big shadows I can move in.

Let everything happen to you: beauty and terror.
Just keep going. No feeling is final.
Don't let yourself lose me.

Nearby is the country they call life.
You will know it by it's seriousness.

Give me your hand.

9 comments:

Paula said...

Wow. What a wonderful story. I'm looking forward to reading this.

Thinking of you tonight my friend . . . and loving both you and Jesus more than ever.

Anonymous said...

I've read portions of GOD CALLING, and I don't recall that two women got the same messages. From what I recall, both women prayed, and one woman got messages. I have some distinct issues with 'channeling' and automatic writing, so I don't much believe this is Jesus talking. BUT...thought I'd mention that no miracle was involved, that I'm aware of.

Jesus did speak in the Bible, quite a lot, and I wonder why that is not sufficient for those seeking Jesus words in print. :) I'm cranky that way.

Mir

Alex Rider said...

i love that book! it is a huge source of encouragement to me and many times the message on that day will be repeated in other things that i read during the day example: Christian blogs, the Bible

Candy said...

I have loved this book for years. God has a way of using it to speak to me right along with every other avenue I connect with that day. I love that. I hadn't picked it up in awhile and this morning I did - then I came here and read this. How cool is that? It's funny. God is good and He's so much fun! I also love that they never used their names.

Alex Rider said...

i just finished reading "murder mayhem and a fine man" omg! it made me laugh, cry and shook my soul!

Anonymous said...

I hate to be a party pooper, but this book has been on Christian retailers shelves for years, yet it's a book that should send red flags to discerning spirits. While I don't question the sincerity of the “two listeners,” the method of guidance they employ is NOT Christian. Automatic writing is never accepted in Scripture. It's a form medi­umship which Scripture unequivocally con­demns (Deut. 18:10-12). The inspiring statements attributed to Christ in God Calling often are combined with faulty theology and misinterpreta­tion of Scripture.

If people only read the Bible with the same enthusiasm...

Blessings to you!

ragamuffin diva said...

Thanks, Anon, for your comment. I don't think you're a party pooper at all. I found the information about the way the women wrote on the website that was provided by a reader and reviewer. It really says nothing about it in the book. So, the jury is still out on that. But as for faulty theology, I'm not sure I see that.

I'm learning more and more that there is nothing God can't do. He's full of surprises. I tend to lean toward Orthodoxy,with a big and a samll "o", but Jesus Himself went against that grain a few times, even in scripture. For example, eating with unwashed hands...

In the End, I trust in the Word, and let God be God and keep a lot of room for mystery.

Thanks again.

Mair

Anonymous said...

How intriguing. I'll be interested to read this as well and see what it's all about.

Anonymous said...

Hi Mair!

I just sent you an e-mail on this, and I want to second what the others have said re: channeling here...this is taken from the Christian Resource Institute article on the book I e-mailed you:

"As is often true in God Calling, Christ in the above quote is made to violate the meaning of His words in Scriptural context. John 16:13 indicates that in Christ’s absence further revelation of truth would come to the apostles through the Holy Spirit: “Howbeit, when he, the Spirit of Truth is come, he will guide you into all truth….”


The discerning Christian would question the spiritual source of a book that employs such a cult-like misuse of Scripture. Space permits only a few additional examples:

· “When the Bible says, ‘God has purer eyes to behold evil,’ it means to impute evil in His people. He always sees the good in people...” (p.50). This portion of Habakkuk 1:13 is clearly understood when the rest of the verse is read: God’s holiness cannot regard evil with complacency or tolerate it.

· “Remember now abideth these three, Faith, Hope and Charity....Hope, which is confidence in yourself to succeed” (p.110). Titus 1:2 explains that hope is not in self but in God, who can be trusted to carry out His promises.

· “I and my Father are one. One in desire to do good” (p.1 52). The first sentence is a direct quote from John 10:30. It is followed by an interpretation often given by cults in their rejection of the deity of Christ.

Then there are the statements attributed to Christ that do not borrow from scripture:

· “I need you more than you need me” (p. 60).

· “I await the commands of my children” (p. 63).

· “Looking to Me all your thoughts are God-inspired. Act on them and you will be led on” (p.104).

· “See Me in the dull, the uninteresting, the sinful, the critical, the miserable” (p.111).

· “I do not delay My second coming. My followers delay it” (p. 177).

· “Remember this beautiful Earth on which you are was once only a thought of Divine Mind” (p. 20l).

· “Wherever the soul is, I am. Man has rarely understood this. I am actually at the center of every man’s being, but, distracted with the things of the sense-life, he finds Me not” (p. 55).

· “Love is God. Give them love, and you give them God” (p. 72).

· “How often mortals rush to earthly friends who can serve them in so limited a way, when the friends who are freed from the limitations of humanity [i.e., the dead] can serve them so much better, understand better, protect better, plan better, and even plead bet­ter their cause with Me” (p. 145).

· “Yes! But remember the first hail must be that of the Magi in the Bethlehem stable” (p. 204).

“Christ” slips up on this last one. Matthew 2:9-11 indicates that the Magi arrived at Bethlehem a considerable time after Jesus was born. Note that verse 11 mentions their being at the “house.” The Magi never did visit Jesus at the stable, but the shepherds did (Luke 2:1 5-20).


Much more could have been given to illustrate the errors and problems in God Calling. One need not question the sincerity of the “two listeners,” but the method of guidance they employ is not Christian. Automatic writing is never accepted in Scripture. Indeed, it is a form of the medi­umship which Scripture unequivocally con­demns (e.g., Deut. 18:10-12). The good thoughts and inspiring statements attributed to Christ in God Calling often are combined with faulty theology and the misinterpreta­tion of Scripture. True communications from the “Living Christ” would not have these defects.

— Edmond C. Gruss"

(me again) I love your blogspot, and pray that you will go deeper and depper in your walk with the One True God. Blessings!