Friday, September 01, 2006

Princess Day

Today is my birthday.

It's Princess Mair day! Okay. So what. I haven't grown up enough to be the Queen yet. Cut me some slack. I'm working on it.

Actually I'm not, it's way more fun to be the Princess.

I've become remarkably easy to please at 42. I only wanted three things: to sleep as long and luxiouriously as possible. This is much easier to do now that I've gotten rid of the homicidal spring mattress and my walls are colored cinnamon diamonds. I want the second season of Grey's Anatomy on DVD, and I want to have a Columbo marathon right in my bed. Very Bell Brown.

I did get to sleep like a princess--well, not really. I mean, I didn't have to be cursed by an evil witch and have to be awakened by a charming prince. The prince did come in here, but I was already awake. He said:

"Hey."

"Hey, baby!" My sunny, well rested reply.

"I've been violently ill."

"Violently ill?" That didn't sound good. That sounded like I'd have to cook dinner! Preparing dinner is not on my birthday agenda.

"And the phone has been ringing non-stop."

Of course the phone has been ringing! It's the Princess'birthday!

"Are you okay, Ken?"

"Yeah. It was that pizza."

Honestly, ALL food makes Ken sick. We have this kind of conversation every day.

Ken: "Did you pre-order your DVD's yet?"

"No. I wanted to make sure it was okay."

He makes some unintelligible noise that sounds like a cross between a grumble and an agonized moan. I make it affirmative, whether or not it is.

Ken: "I gotta go shopping. Sorry for the late start."

"It's not late. I just woke up!" And it's so 4:00 in the evening, but I'm a princess! I can sleep for hundreds of years if necessary, and still wake up gorgeous and sought after.

The babies come into the room. They aren't really babies anymore. They're seven and nine. We still call them the babies though.

"Happy Birthday, Mom."

"Thank you!"

"Did you see your presents?"

I'm surrounded by hand made cards crafted with love, and a lot of glitter. Few presents could possibly touch my heart more than these. They also give me a piece of polished glass. A little circle of pale pink and purple. I tell them it will be my lucky stone. I give them big hugs, and revel in the feel of their little girl bodies, now all long legs and arms, pressed into me. They grow so fast, don't they?

Kamau blows into the room like a tornado. My boy. At twelve he is silly and noble, and as close to perfect child as a mere mortal can get. "Happy Birthday, Mom." He says this in one of his gazillion crazy voices. He blows out of my room practically before I can get the thank you out of my mouth.

Abby is next, and she throws her hands up with her birthday greeting. She tells me I can eat all the cake I want because calories don't count on Princess Birthdays.

Woo hooo.

Does it get any better than this? Snail mail and email love. A surprise letter from the prodigal boy, phone calls and hugs and no calories! I think I'll have myself a t-bone steak in that case!

God's goodness is so evident in the most simple things. I don't have to work hard at practicing His presence today. He's everywhere, filling me up with His sweetness like icing. Raining on me like confetti. Being my McDreamy.

Thank you God. For everything I wanted. For everything I needed. For never going away.

I love you!

Princess Mair (For real! I've even got a jeweled tiara in my afro today! Woo hoo!).

21 comments:

Mirtika said...

Princess? Queen? No, babe, go for EMPRESS.

I like to play EMPRESS now and then. Sadly, I have no jeweled tiara. ; )

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

Mir<--who won your book from Camy's Loft. Hurrah. (It's not here yet.)

ragamuffin diva said...

Sorry, Mir. I'll make sure it goes out Tuesday with a ton of mail I've been meaning to send.

Ty said...

Happy Birthday Claudia!! :)

bobbie said...

a true birthday for a diva! yipee!

i celebrate with you mair!

Lola Lee Beno said...

Happy Birthday!

Joni said...

Isn't it wonderful to have your family lavish you with love and make you feel like the truly wonderful person you are???

Happy Birthday...

And may the day after your birthday be a day still filled with God's overwhelming joy!

Nancy said...

A very Happy Birthday Princess !!!Love to see a photo of you in your tiara. May rich Blessings continue to rain upon you this coming year.

Cathy West said...

Hope you had a great birthday!!
You deserve the best.
Enjoy!

R.G. said...

Happy belated birthday, sister! Hey, our birthdays are only five days apart and we're only one year apart -- I turn 43 this Wednesday! Isn't it wonderful to celebrate birthdays after 40 and not worry about the tremendous number of candles on the cake?

My babies are seven and nine, too -- but they're my only ones.

Sounds like your birthday was wonderful. Praise God for being here in the everyday!

Deborah said...

What a lovely birthday. Was in there with you as the children came into the bedroom.
Happy belated birthday!

Kristine said...

Dutchess Mair!
Happy Birthday! I'm glad to hear that you were surrounded by so much love!

lisa said...

Drat! I was away and just got back and found out I missed your birthday, Claudia! But happy belated birthday! Sounds like it was a good 'un.

Paula said...

I hope blogger takes my comment this time--been trying to leave you a message for the better part of an hour!

So . . . what I tried to say is:

I can't believe I missed your birthday!! But I'm so glad you got what you wanted. I love the stories of your sweet children and the love they have for you and how it came oozin' out.

Happy birthday my sweet princess friend.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday!!!! So sorry I'm late.

CHickey said...

Happy Birthday!!!! So sorry I'm late. I'M NOT ANONYMOUS!!!

wilsonian said...

Oh, I totally missed the party!! :(
I pray that you're still reveling in the love...

Cathy West said...

Are you still recovering from your birthday??? You are SO quiet....
I'd like to invite you to check out Christian Women Online http://www.christianwomenonline.net
If you would like to link to us, there are various ways to do so. Instructions are on the website. I hope you will join us in "uniting women of faith!"

Candy said...

I'm so belated!! But I wanted to send my wishes for happiness your way anyway. You sound so peaceful and happy in this post and surrounded by love. Just the way a special day should be spent. I vote for a picture of you in that tiara too! Happy days!

Bek said...

happy birthday! keep enjoying that sweetness like icing of His as long as possible. make the birthday last. :) and enjoy that t-bone. sounds delicious.

Heather Diane Tipton said...

Well, I'm catching up on your blog... I'm SO glad I didn't forget your birthday. Glad you had a great day. you totally deserve it.

Vicki said...

Very belated birthday (better late than never!)to Empress Mair...a lovely woman.