Sunday, June 11, 2006

Love Stays

A blast from the past.

Love Stays
(a paraphrase of 1 Cor. 13:1-7)

If the words I write
broke the hearts of men,
and staggered angels
and I did not love
I am mere noise, needing
grace to silence me.

And if my prophecies, opened
the fragrant bud of mystery
and my faith, made mountains bow
and leap, and I did not love
what is the use of me?

If I emptied myself of myself,
and gave all I had to the poor,
and if I yielded flesh to fire
willingly, and on my knees
and I did not love
I should be pitied for my poverty.

Love stays.

Love cares for others more.
Love doesn’t ask for
what is not for love.
Love bows,
and love gives way.

Love doesn’t think too highly
of itself, nor does love
violate. Love doesn’t insist
that it has it’s way.

It doesn’t remember sins.
Love doesn’t make you beg.

It just lets it go.

Love loves when truth blossoms
like lilacs and gardenias
swollen with scents
sweet as a mercy

Love allows.

Trusts Abba always.

Love opens wide eyes
to see the best
and shuts them tight
to what is behind us;
It doesn’t comprehend
the past.

Love never,
ever
fails.

Like God,
love stays.


Even better the second time around, eh?

Much love,
Mair

9 comments:

Paula said...

This is one of the most beautiful things I've ever read. Drinkin' it in, my friend. Wow.

Bonnie Calhoun said...

Very comforting in such a hectic time!

Heather Diane Tipton said...

"Trusts Abba always."

Mair, woman, I totally love that... you know I do, emailed you about it the other day and then you post it to smack me again. It's beautiful.

Bek said...

o this is amazing. i need to copy this and keep it somewhere close. i really really like how in the beginning of that passage, all things that we may call love, or think replace love or are better than love are exposed.....

Bad Alice said...

That is a beatiful rendering. Thank you for today's inspiration.

BLOG REVIEWS said...

*****

Anonymous said...

Just reading some past blogs...and love this so, so much!

Definitely want to pass that one along. Thanks for blessing me!

Joni

Terri said...

A friend of mine directed me to your blogs because she knew your words could touch the core of a person in unexplainable ways. May I have permission to copy your rendering of these verses on my website and print it out for my mirror?

ragamuffin diva said...

Please do, Terry. May it keep blessing you.