Friday, September 23, 2005

Book Review 3: Post Rapture Radio

Post-Rapture Radio
by Russell Rathbun
2005, Jossey-Bass
San Francisco, CA
www.josseybass.com

This book also brings the fondest Emergent Church Convention '05 memories. I got to meet Russell at his booksigning at the convention. Jossey-Bass did it right, with good quacamole and beer, and funky music.

Let it be said that prior to Emergent '05 I neither drank alcohol, nor smoked. However, I was initiated into those mysteries in the penthouse suite I described in book review #2, and was eager to attend Rathbuns signing for the free beer. The fact that a really cool book was involved was a plus.

I could describe what an emergent man looks like using very few words. Gotee would figure prominately, and those glasses. Yes, Russell wore those little black square framed glasses that every emergent young man in the whole wide world wears. Don't get me wrong, you don't particularly have to be original with facial hair and eyewearto be cool, and Russell is most certainly cool. But he was more than cool, and when he stood to read and all that sparkling prose came out of his mouth I was hooked. I knew right then Post-Rapture Radio was a winner.

In P-RR, the narrator finds a box full of journal entries and sermon's from a Reverend Richard Lamblove (now that's a cool character name). Lamblove lamblasts (I couldn't resist) contemporaryculture (evangelical culture, absorbed like an independent being by the Borg) for its shallowness and greed. It's awfully familiar territory. We get to vicariously watch the good Reverend's attempts to process all that he sees before he mysteriously vanishes.

The book is laugh outloud funny, smart, and scathing. It's also a clarion call for us to check ourselves, and our lack of authenticity at the door. If you like to laugh and be challenged, this is a great read.

As the good reverend would say: Foward Ho!

(The first time I heard him say that, I thought he had some insight into my life).
:)

We'll do the last two on Monday. A couple of interesting new titles from Revell.

Until then,
Mair
and have a great weekend.

2 comments:

Gina Holmes said...

Sounds great, thanks for sharing!

Heather Diane Tipton said...

Monday has come and gone, darlin' everything all right?