Wednesday, May 18, 2005

GodBroads Up Past Bedtime

Don't ever presume that you know God as much as you think you do. God is a trickster. He surprises us with His Very Godness, and does something we never would have thought of.

I've been caught up in a sort of busyness. There is the excitement of being around such good people, and the blessing of having workshops where the teaching heals, then hurts, then heals again. There is the running about town, in this city of guitars and cowboy hats, and Elvis Presley t-shirts everywhere. There is deliciously warm weather, in contrast to the still wintery midwest that I've just left. And there is the fellowship of the saints.

Last night I, after a long day, I got to hang out with a room full of women. There are things I'd love to tell you about this gathering, but I must say, with a good deal of irony, most of what happened last night is a matter of, "what happens in Nashville, stays in Nashville." It was that kind of fun.

These women are broads. Big, brassy, loud and sassy. Also, quiet and quick, sure, and yet soft and vulnerable. I was blessed to find myself sitting in their presence, soaking up stories, sipping more wine, laughing out loud. Oh, it was sweet fellowship.

I would have never thought in my holier than thou past that the company of such sisters would be a soothing balm. They are so very real. They remind me of people in the bible--people who loved God, but weren't afraid to be real about the holiness that they both seek, and lack. Why can't we all be that honest. We are the chief of sinners, each one of us, but some of us wear the mask of prideful "look how righteous I am" so much that we believe our own press. I am the worst offender in this regard.

Yes, God is a trickster. Some of these saints smoke cigarettes, and say 'shit', and tell colorful stories, but they love God enough to be here, seeking His face, stumbling toward Heaven, honest about the journey, and the pitfalls, and the perils. The people in this place--this bit of holy ground, they are poised to receive grace in spades.

Bring it on, O good God. Bid us to come.
raga

9 comments:

Heather Diane Tipton said...

Bravo, Raga.
I'm glad you had the chance to be there, among those amazing women (you realize you are also one of those amazing women?)

Candy said...

what i wouldn't give to be in a room like that. you belong there.

Cheryl said...

hey, nice to meet you at the blogger's lunch. hope to see you around.

Katy said...

I'm so happy you're there, Raga, and enjoying it. I sure would have loved to have been at the bloggers lunch sitting beside you!

upwords said...

Umph. Grace in spades. There's nothing like it. I'm so glad you are there, dear friend, making more friends and enjoying the goodness of God. :)

I love you.
mary

Will said...

Girl, you are one of my favorite GodBroads of all times. So great to put face with blog and to continue the connection. We are looking forward to hosting you in Lexington.

susiealbertmiller said...

one of my favorite moments was when folks at the blogger luncheon realizd that you were ragamuffin diva! the applause that erupted was delightful and an expclaimation point to you gift to the blogging world, and the nashville EC! you have given voice and courage to many god broads!

s-p said...

Christian "brassy broads"? I love it... It sounds kinda like what happens when 15 priests and clergy get together in a room after a long day of conferences and beatings by their bishop...I imagine its what the apostles sounded like sitting around the beach cleaning fish. :)
Humanity exists beneath the long skirts, headcoverings and the shiniest vestments for sure.

mindi said...

I think I know the night you mention here, I think I was in the room. And if I'm right, I'm so flattered and honored by this description... I was so glad you were there...it seemed as if you'd always been there. This is one of my favorite memories from ec...and I'm so grateful to have shared that night with you and the other broads...