Thursday, May 19, 2005

Adoramus te Domine

There are those experiences in life that catch you in that moment that is just between inhale and exhale. The quiet moment when your heart can hear with spirit ears. This space was opened wide for me tonight, in a gift of worship called Taize.

Just as prayer is a place, Taize is a place. It is in France, and people go there to find that inner mystery where we know God with the kind of intimacy reserved for the Beloved. The Only. The Lover of our souls. I didn't go to France, but here in Nashville, the experience was recreated in a stunning downtown church--an architech's dream.

Lori and I entered the Sacred Lovely in quiet, just before the service began. We took our seats, and someone handed us the music. We weren't sure what to expect. She knew there would be prayer, and I knew there would be singing, but my Lord, we were blessed to be able to sing our prayers. Augustine said, he who sings prays twice. We prayed twice tonight, and our souls grew twice as wide.

The music washes over you in waves. It was sung in Latin and in English tonight. I want you to imagine that for a moment, you are able to lift the most blessed part of you toward heaven, and feel heaven reach down to meet you half-way. In this space the angels--those same ones that sing Holy, Holy, Holy is the Lord. Imagine them singing with you.

But first, the hum...
a holy moan, born of those who are passionately, deeply, in love unto death.
Imagine the sound that wordlessly says, I am Yours. I am only Yours.

Then...

A - do - ra- mus te Do - mi - ne.
We adore you, Lord Jesus Christ.

1. With the angels and arch - an - gels:

A - do - ra - mus te Do - mi - ne.
We adore you, Lord Jesus Christ.

2. With the pa-tri-archs and pro-phets:
3. With the Vir-gin Mar-y mother of God:
4. With the A - pos-tles and e - van-gel-ist:

A - do - ra - mus te Do - mi - ne.
We adore you, Lord Jesus Christ.

This is what I live for, saints. This is the Holy Spirit given worship I would die for.

In Love unto death,
raga

8 comments:

Candy said...

My Church of Christ church here in Abilene, Texas holds Taize services. Go figure. They occur once a month on Sunday nights for about 8 months out of the year. I love that line "he who sings prays twice". I have been extremely blessed by singing these prayers. I know exactly what you mean.

Elizabeth said...

raga, i am so glad you are being blessed on this trip. it is beautiful to know the saints are being uplifted. Just these past months i have learned what it means to be in love (with christ)unto death. it's absolutely beautiful. i'm overjoyed that you are experiencing that becuae i know the benefit that it has brought me. I've never heard of these Taize services, though. i'll be on the look out for them. blessings to you.....

upwords said...

Lovely. You always teach me something new about God. I love you for that. :)
Mary

Jaime H. said...

Claudia, that was lovely. I'm so glad you were able to attend!

St.Phransus said...

I am really hoping at some point in the near future to make a pilgrimage to Taize France. I really want to experience prayer in that community. Thanks for you post.

jonathon

Connie said...

Thank you for this. Just reading the adoramus domine was uplifting this morning.
Also love, "He ho sings prays twice." What about, "He who whistles prays twice." I think I'm getting another take on my husband's early morning chirpiness.

Barb said...

I would like to know the Church name in Nashville(I live in Nolensville). Along with 40 other people, we heard the angels sing Adoramus Te Domine, in a chapel in Los Teques, Venezuela(this site houses Eucharistic Miracle) which occurred in Betania. Check out: www.indefenseofthecross.com/Eucharistic_miracles.htm

ragamuffin diva said...

I'm so sorry, Barb. I have no idea of the name of the church now. I was visiting Nashville for the Emergent conference, and it was a whirlwind of activities.

Maybe you can do a search for Taize services in that area on Google. You can find just about anything on Google.

God bless you!
mair