Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Kyrie Eleison

Hi again, pumpkin.

We're going to keep things really simple today and I'm going to get straight to the point.

Have you ever sat down to pray, and then your mind goes beserk? Or how 'bout you get really highminded, thinking of how good you sound with your fancy, deeply spiritual prayers? Did you ever sit there like a lump under the rug because no matter how hard you tried, you couldn't think of a thing to say to God? Did you ever hurt so much that words failed you, and all that comes out are little yelps and moans? Or you ached and trobbed in your spirit and the pain stole your words and capacity to love and be loved?

There is a prayer that is old, and yet it becomes new each time you pray it. It is short, and easy to remember. It won't impress anybody but God, but I assure you, every time you pray it, you will have his attention. If you continue in it, it may be the sweetest three words you'll ever know--besides Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. That prayer is Kyrie Eleison. It means, Lord, have mercy.

Let me tell you something wondrous about the word mercy as it's used here. Mercy is the English translation of the Greek word eleos. The root word is the old Greek word for oil--olive oil. Way back in the day, and even now, pumpkin, olive oil was used as a soothing agent for bruises and minor wounds. We are all wounded dear one. Mercy is the warm balm that God gently, lovingly massages into our hurting places. As he soothes us, He makes us stronger, and ultimately whole.

Here's another thing. The Hebrew word, which is also translated as eleos and mercy, is hesed. It means steadfast love. Oh, isn't that a blessed thing? So when we pray, simply, Lord, have mercy, we are asking for His sweet comfort, His soothing, and His steadfast love for all our hurting places.

Remember when I told you yesterday that I had scars? I had spritual scars long before I had the ones on my wrists. I didn't remember in those dark days that God's mercy endures forever. I wish I did.

So, I say to you, give him those heart scars, and ask him for His mercy. You will be rewarded with a rich love. Pray it often. Pray it as often as you think to. As often as you hurt. Without ceasing. It will change you. It will heal you, and it is God's pleasure to do love you as you have never been loved before. You are the beloved. His very own.

It's true.

Kyrie Eleison. Christe Eleison. Kyrie Eleison. Lord, have mercy, Christ have mercy, Lord have mercy.

May the oil of the Holy Spirit be your balm of healing today.

I love you dear one,
raga

2 comments:

David said...

I've never forgiven Mr. Mister for co-opting this phrase for their song in the late-80s. Maybe Maroon 5 can write a song called El Shaddai. Or matchbox twenty a song called Alpha and Omega.

I like your take much better.

Bob said...

Hi Diva: I just wanted to let you know that I wrote a little about this post on my blog. Your posting lately has been awesome!