Wednesday, February 02, 2005

The Only Way To Die

"I tell you the truth, unless a kernal of wheat falls to the ground and dies, it remains only a single seed, but if it dies, it produces many seeds. The man who loves his life will lose it, while the man who hates his life in this world will keep it for eternal life." (John 12:25,25 NIV)

My friend Mark and I have been having a lot of conversations lately. Mark mentioned that one of the things God is teaching him is about dying to self. As Christians, dying to self has many implications--from the practical, to the sublime. Our conversation stayed with me, as did the concept of being crucified with Christ. For me, it's a daily struggle.

Mark is a very gifted musician. Check out his work at www.markwashere.com. He's not famous yet, and I've often wondered if it frustrates him--not having his work out there like he'd like. I know I struggle with the desire to be more widely published. That's the thing about art. You don't do it for yourself. It's made to share, but there's such a delicate balance between the gift and the desire to serve the Lord, and the seduction of wanting the gift and the work to serve you. We want our songs to be heard, and our books and poems to be read, and yet, they belong to Jesus, really.

I wrote this song for Mark. It's about that very struggle.


Maybe, It’s the Only Way To Die
Words by ragamuffin diva
Music by Mark Chappelle Coston

Here I am
Again Lord, on my knees
I’m giving you this
For the thousandth time
It’s all I’ve got Lord
And it belongs to you,
This little light of mine.

Take this gift Lord,
And use it as You will
When times get hard Lord
Please help me see
That all my songs and the
Melodies I sing
They belong to You
They’re not of me.

Chorus:

Yeah, I want to see my name
In the big bright lights
But sometimes
I just want to die
Sometimes, I want to live forever
Maybe it’s the same thing
By and by
Maybe that’s the only way to die

Take my heart Lord
Break it, that’s Your will
When the curtain closes, Lord
Let me know
That for all my music
And the sweet joy that it brings
You’re the star
Of this here show

Chorus:

Yeah, I want to see my name
In the big bright lights
But sometimes
I just want to die
Sometimes, I want to live forever
Maybe it’s the same thing
By and by
Maybe that’s the only way to die

Change:

Use me
Use me till there’s nothing else
Empty me
'Til I’m long gone
I am yours Lord
Save me, save me please
Maybe, that’s the only way to die

Repeat Chrorus

The only way to die
It’s when we die that we can fly
The only way to die

4 comments:

slb said...

this is hot. truly. y'all been drinkin' the kool-aid. ;-)

daisymarie said...

Wow. I wish I could hear the music...but the words. Wow. They're so powerful.

What a gift and blessing.

violet said...

This is so true:

"but there's such a delicate balance between the gift and the desire to serve the Lord, and the seduction of wanting the gift and the work to serve you."

Maybe we'll experience frustration until we get to the point that all we want is God's glory - because then, if glory comes to us, we won't even care.

upwords said...

What Violet said. :)

On the way to die...again,
mary