Wednesday, January 26, 2005

Love Stays

Love Stays
(a paraphrase of 1 Cor. 13:1-7)

If the words I write
broke the hearts of men,
and staggered angels
and I did not love
I am mere noise, needing
grace to silence me.

And if my prophecies, opened
the fragrant bud of mystery
and my faith, made mountains bow
and leap, and I did not love
what is the use of me?

If I emptied myself of myself,
and gave all I had to the poor,
and if I yielded flesh to fire
willingly, and on my knees
and I did not love
I should be pitied for my poverty.

Love stays.

Love cares for others more.
Love doesn’t ask for
what is not for love.
Love bows,
and love gives way.

Love doesn’t think too highly
of itself, nor does love
violate. Love doesn’t insist
that it has it’s way.

It doesn’t remember sins.
Love doesn’t make you beg.

It just lets it go.

Love loves when truth blossoms
like lilacs and gardenias
swollen with scents
sweet as a mercy

Love allows.

Trusts Abba always.

Love opens wide eyes
to see the best
and shuts them tight
to what is behind us;
It doesn’t comprehend
the past.

Love never,
ever
fails.

Like God,
love stays.

Giving up to love,
Raga

11 comments:

lisa said...

Speechless in the beauty of these words.

Geo said...

It doesn’t remember sins.
Love doesn’t make you beg.

WOW! That part ALWAYS makes me love even more!
Love remembers no wrong!

Peace & Freedom

bobbie said...

Love doesn’t make you beg.

oh i love those words claudia - the whole is the best paraphrase i've ever read, honest - it's beautiful powerful deep!

can't wait to read 'the raga message' :)

markwashere said...

disquieted mob placated... for now.

slb said...

"Love opens wide eyes
to see the best
and shuts them tight
to what is behind us"

it always really, really comforting to know this. thanks for reminding me.

upwords said...

Ohhhhh. Man. Lovely. Just lovely. You made my heart sing.
Mary

Candy said...

There's no single phrase here that I can pick out. The whole of it deeply touches me and will be printed out and placed lovingly in a special place, a place of love, inside the cover of my Sword. thank you, Claudia.

Breezze said...

Wow... so beautiful.

Love stays.

donni said...

Each time I read your words all I can do is pick my bottom lip off the floor and say, "Wow."

michael snyder said...

I'll say it again...beautiful, truly beautiful.

glimpsing gal said...

Claudia, without a doubt, this is the most beautiful piece I've ever read on the love passage from Corinthians. Thank you for sharing the words - and your heart.