Saturday, January 01, 2005

A Blessing

Jimmy Abegg, that wonderguy of Ragamuffin fame gave the world a wonderful gift when he compiled a book a prayers by various artists, and his amazing photographs. The Book is called "Ragamuffin Prayers" (2000, Harvest House, Eugene OR). It's fantastic.

Completely without permission, (Sorry Jimmy A. and Harvest House) I am going to share with you a blessing from the book that was given to Henri Nouwen by his spiritual mentor. It's my personal New Years prayer. For the faint of heart, this ain't no Jabez thing:

MAY ALL YOUR EXPECTATIONS
BE FRUSTRATED.
MAY ALL YOUR PLANS BE THWARTED.
MAY ALL YOUR DESIRES
BE WITHERED INTO NOTHINGNESS,
THAT YOU MAY EXPERIENCE THE POWERLESSNESS AND
POVERTY OF A CHILD AND SING AND DANCE
IN THE LOVE OF GOD THE FATHER,
THE SON, AND THE SPIRIT.
Let's have just one resolution, to BE God's, and let Him do with us as He will.
Happy New Year, friends! I sure do love you.
Claudia, God's child, singing and dancing.

6 comments:

daisymarie said...

I wish I had had this blessing to read a couple months ago...it has been the truth of my journey. Thank you for the powerful reminder!

Paula said...

Finally a New Year's Resolution I can buy into--to be God's and let Him do with me as He will!!!!

upwords said...

Amen and AMEN.

mary

Anonymous said...

That has been my life this year. and that will be my resolution for the new year.
Heather

seeker of truth said...

I love reading your site...you write beautifully and from the heart....I took the prayer I feel as though it's His will for me right now and BOY am I fighting Him and praying for it at the same time!
Keep sharing....

violet said...

I love this blessing (in fact so much, I linked to your post on this blog entry of mine today: http://vnesdoly.blogspot.com/2005/01/this-year-i-want-to-be-sheep-2.html). It makes me want to buy the whole book!