Wednesday, July 21, 2004

One Thing

 
Nu 32:23
But if you do not do so, then take note, you have sinned against the Lord; and be sure your sin will find you out. (NKJV)

One thing. One thing can alter the course of your life. One sin. You may know in advance, as in the case of killing someone. If I kill Suzy, I'm going to go to jail. Suzy will be dead. Her family will be devastated. My family will be devastated. On and On. But, sometimes, you don't know. It just seems like one decision, and you'll ask God to forgive you and it'll be done. Under the blood. Right?

Don't get me wrong, the shed blood of Jesus is the singularly most effective remedy for sin that ever was and will be, but you know what? He paid for sin, but you may have to pay a consequence or two. And while you can chose your sin, your consequences are the wild card.

My one thing was a boy. I loved him. I loved Jesus. I wanted the best for us, spiritually, and he wanted to make love. I'd like to think that maybe he really loved me, and honestly believed that it would be a good step for us to take. We did live in this world, and lies like this abound, and sometimes, even people of faith believe them. So, there I was, loving him, and Jesus, and I had this choice to make, and I figured, I'll get out of this; I have a plan, but I found myself too compromised. My plan went out the window. I remember the night before, when Jesus troubled my dreams continuosly. Jesus always says important things to me in dreams. I did not take heed.

One thing. I didn't even enjoy it.

My spiritual life unraveled, slowly, then quickly, and then almost completely. Just one incident. The boy and I didn't stay together after that. It was just that one time. I had no idea how it would change me, but it changed me. I asked God to forgive me, right away, but I did damaged I couldn't begin to see. Oh, young raga. 17 years old. If I could tell you what I know now. Sweet child of God. What did I miss because of that one thing that caused ripples like an impossibly big boulder in a bottomless ocean? Dear Jesus.

Did you know that some of your struggles are because of your one thing? Some of them are because of your parents one thing, or your great great grandparents. This is why we need salvation. One thing an angel did, who was so awesome, that he had a musical instrument built inside of Him, for God's glory. One thing a woman, fashioned by God's own hand did, because a serpent told her something, and it seemed like a good idea at the time. One thing a man did, because it seemed okay, and *she* did it. Did they know that thousands of years later, we'd be feeling that ripple? All of us. One thing.

I do want to share, fellow ragamuffins, that God is merciful. If you have one sin that turned to many, or if your struggles are of a simpler breed, God can, and will deliver, if you ask.

I am free. It is finished. My one thing was washed in a sea of mercy a few days ago. I'm sailing on that fine and lovely sea, and my sail is pointed in a whole different direction than before. I broke my life; I couldn't fix it. I was forgiven, but I still had to deal with the consequences--some of which, I wouldn't have dreamed would have happened. Like Much-Afraid in Hinds Feet and High Places, Jesus allowed Sorrow and Suffering to be my companions, and did not spare me their lessons. I am different because of them. Thank you Jesus.

Joe, I forgive you, and release you to the Love of God. And Claudia, I forgive you. You go girl! Enjoy this. Jesus gave it to you. At long last.

Don't play with sin, children of God. You can't know where it will lead, except in death, and you can't know exactly what or who will die. But, raga, you ask, how do we live without sin? We only read ragamuffin diva because we are jacked up like you. And to that, my sweet readers, I say, lean like a pimp in a Cadillac on Jesus' everlasting arms. I know that's an awful metaphor, but you saw it didn't you? Ha! Lean like you can't stand up straight. You can't. Lean like it's all you've got. 'Cause it is. Fall on mercy. Fall on Love. And for God's sake, and yours, too, choose life. Memorize 1 John 1:9.

The life you save may be your own. And your children's. And their children.

I am opening my blog as an altar call. Come, and confess and ask God to forgive you of one thing, or many, or anything. Let me hear you. I'll be praying for your freedom. It's time.


Yours in the perfect will of God, by His Grace and for His glory.
God's raga

9 comments:

Geo said...

You my sister are a gift! And you are right on the mark!
Your openness to share is an inspiration. Your "leaning like a pimp" is from Father Himself!

Blessings to you today.

Peace
http://weblogs.oxegen.us/watercarriers/

Michelle said...

Thank you. I needed to hear this. I needed to hear this years ago.

Roger said...

I needed to hear this from one ragamuffin to another! I am still reaping the consequences of decisions that I have made both before and after choosing to follow Jesus...but they have made me who I am....

SteveW said...

Sister Claudia, that is an awesome testimony of the Lord's ability to lovingly take one who had been overcome and turn their live around and make them an overcomer. I can relate. It is so good to be resting on that crystal sea of grace. Yes, you go girl.

SteveW said...

Sister Claudia, that is an awesome testimony of the Lord's ability to lovingly take one who had been overcome and turn their live around and make them an overcomer. I can relate. It is so good to be resting on that crystal sea of grace. Yes, you go girl.

SteveW said...

Sorry about the double post.

360 said...

"The Lord is close to the brokenhearted; he rescues those who are crushed in spirit."
Your most profound and intimate experiences of worship will likely be in your darkest days. It is during suffering that we learn to pray our most authentic, heartfelt, honest-to-God prayers. When we're in pain, we don't have the energy for superficial prayers. We learn things about God in suffering that we can't learn any other way. Problems force us to look to God and depend on him instead of ourselves. Life is a series of problems. Everytime you solve one, another takes its place. Not all of them a big, but all are significant in God's growth process for you.

upwords said...

So often your words ring as though scoured from my own mind. Today, I weep for you and rejoice as well. One thing...that allowed to live even the most scarce breath, waits for a moment, a second of weakness. I, too, have laid my one thing to rest, stabbed it through. It was many years again, but the shards stab me still. Yet, the pain is sweet.

If I never meet you until heaven, know that your fellowship is sweet. Crazy sweet.

Blessings,
Marilynn Griffith
sinner extraordinaire

Anonymous said...

I have a 'one thing'. Lust and masturabation. Lord, have mercy. Please pray for me.