Thursday, May 27, 2004

Extreme Makeover

Most days I can't tolerate reality television, but I'll admit it, on a few occasions I sat in front of the television staring in wide-eyed wonder at Extreme Makeover.

Wow! Look at Drucilla, now. Check out Lucius--fine as wine, at last. Can you imagine? You send in a video tape, and if you're selected, surgeons will jack you up, leaving you incapacitated for weeks at a time, by procedures that could possibly kill you, in order to make you beautiful.

I want that, too!

I went to the mirror to scrutinize my personal damages with the cold eyes of a clinician. It didn't take long to realize that I am totally unacceptable. My breasts are fellowshipping with my knees. My butt is the size of Canada! And my tummy! There's enough excess skin there to make two whole people. That's just the beginning. How did I manage in this world looking like such a dog? I was ready to call the suicide hotline when I remembered Jesus.

Isaiah 53 tells us, "The servant grew up before God--a scrawny seedling, a scrubby plant in a parched field. There was nothing attractive about him, nothing to cause us to take a second look." (The Message)

What? You mean Jesus was just a regular looking guy? A candidate for a reality t.v. makeover? Sorry, John Avanzini, He didn't wear designer clothes. There was "nothing attractive about him." He wouldn't have made it as a Nazareth Heat calender boy.

But God did this for a reason. There is an invisible Kingdom, and you can't get there because you've got perky saline breasts, and a tamed and tucked tummy. Hallelujah! It's a Kingdom that focuses on the things in you that can't been seen with the physical eye. Only spiritual surgery, via the sword of the Spirit (that's the Word of God) will prepare you, not a plastic surgeons knife.

So, take heart wallflowers and ugly ducklings. You don't have to be a hottie to enter into this Kingdom. Jesus was an ordinary guy, who happened to be God. He does extreme makeovers, turning sinners into saints, giving plain ol' fisher men bejeweled eternal crowns, and making ragamuffins into divas.

Let Him make you over.

In Love Himself,
raga d

3 comments:

lisa said...

Amen! Wonderful.

Deborah said...

Inner beauty. Will we even be conscious of it when it's there?

Thanks for the post. Keep blogging, 'diva.

D.

ragamuffin diva said...

Thanks ladies.